Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

2011 Hyundai: s legroom by repositioning seat or extending seat rails

I would like to know if it is effective and safe to extend
(lengthen) driver's legroom by repositioning seat or extending seat rails? on a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe
How is it done?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

providing the new mounting holes you drill are reinforced in the same manner as the standard postions then its entirely possible to move the seat back - however the biggest issue is that the seat belt anchor point isn't on the chair but fixed to the door post.

This means if you move the seat back past this point then the belt won't be tight across your body and won't be very effective

So if you don't move the seat past this point then you should be OK
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Matt,

Since I do not yet own the 2011 santa Fe, can you tell me how many inches(more leg room) I can get if I move it only "to the point" that the seat belt can still be effective?

And can I not just short the seat belt if I move the seat back beyond that point?

Might it be better or easier to extend the seat rail further back?

And would a dealership do this for me? Or alternatively, who or what kind of car expert would do it ?

Do you know if moving the seat would effect the warranty in any way?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
see above for further questions
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

This is an estimation but you shoudl be able to gain 3-4" extra legroom without compromising anything else ( other than rear passnger space)

you can't jus tshorten teh belt I'm afriad as its the location of the shoulder pivot thats important - if this isn't behind your shoulder then you won't be restrained by the belt

I doubt a dealer woudl tackle this job but any independent garage should be able to do it

Also drilling the extra seat mount holes in the floorpan will probably invalidate the anti-corrosion warrenty in this area - this should be discussed with the dealer who will be familar will the small print
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Matt