George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

2005 hyundai santa fe: v6..car started..crank..all fuses no issues

Customer Question

2005 hyundai santa fe 3.5 v6 crankshaft pulley broke, replaced pulley and belts car started ran a little while then stopped. will crank now but not start, checked all fuses no issues there. any suggestions. fuel/fire not an issue
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,

You say it has fuel and spark?

When the crank pulley broke did the belt get wrapped around the pulley?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nope, pulley seperated from crankshaft belt was intact, replaced with new belt anyway. After putting it back together car started and ran for a little while then stopped,
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.
You DO have good spark and fuel?

My concern is that the crankshaft position sensor is just behind the crank pulley and if a tooth off the timing belt was jammed through the sensor it will crack it.

So if you have a good regular spark the sensor is OK. If you have fuel pressure and the injectors are being opened you should have fuel so that leaves timing and compression.

How many miles and what about the spark and fuel??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it could be the crankshaft postion sensor
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.
This will be much easier if you answer my question about spark and fuel. Remember that I only know what you tell me about what you are Seeing and hearing.

Let me know and I can tell you how this can Be tested so you will find the problem.

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
80,000 miles spark / fuel are ok
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.
You will need to be sure of the spark so use a spark checker to see.

Can you pull the upper timing cover?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.
If you will work with me and answer the questions directly you will get ,a quality answer but I need to know what you can do and what you have done.

Tell me the situation so I can help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
car cranks wont start, have fuel and fire along with checking all fuses no issues with that. the only thing i thought was crankshaft postion sensor due to the fact that i changed the crankshaft pulley. why does it start after repairs then stop abrubtly and only crank
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

IT may be that the timing belt has jumped time. Before I tell you to take off the timing covers I have to know that you are sure of a good solid regular spark and that there is fuel pressure and the injectors are being pulsed by the computer.

The engine only needs four things to run, fuel , spark, compression and timing so if you have fuel and spark you need to verify timing by pulling the upper timing cover and inspecting the timing marks and run a compression test on at least three cylinders to verify that you have at least 120 lbs of pressure.

If you have a good regular spark the crank sensor is not the problem.

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just checked fire and getting no fire?????
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

OK it is likely that the crank position sensor is damaged. Has the timing belt ever been changed?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
engine only 30,000 miles total miles are 80,000. small block put in at 50,000 at dealership. I don't know if belt has been changed. the book tells me take the lower bolts of the timing cover to find sensor, how hard is this
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

The dealer did not change the belt if it was done under warranty.

You will have to pull the timing belt to replace the crank sensor which means removing the drive belts, crank pulley, belt tensioner and timing covers. To remove the covers the upper engine mount needs to be removed so you can raise and lower the engine to get ot the bolts.

The crank sensor has a shutter wheel that is around the crankshaft and runs through the gap in the sensor. The teeth come off the timing belt and land in the bottom of the timing cover where they are caught in the shutter wheel which forces them through the gap in the crank sensor cracking it. The sensor works sometimes=mes after that and totally fails after a short time.

It is very difficult to hold all the cams in time as you install the belt, I use a helper to hold the back two while I align the belt. Book time is about 3.5 hours but the first time is more like 6.

The procedure to replace the belt and sensor is below.

Click here

Once the belt is off remove the two bolts holding the sensor and install the new sensor. Route the wire EXACTLY as the old sensor wire was run or it will get cut by the timing belt

If you want to double check that the sensor is not putting out a signal you will need a voltmeter

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do i check sensor with volt meter
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

At the sensor connector on top of the engine you use a straight pin to probe inside the connector. You want the connector connected.

Find one of the three wires that has 12 volts, the other that is ground and the other will be the signal wire that should toggle from 5 volts to ground as you rotate the engine clockwise by hand with the key in the run position. Usually all you see is the 5 volts and it does not change as you turn the engine.

The connector is C106 inn the picture below.

I need to do dinner with mom as it is Sunday so I will be back in about four hours if you need further help.

Thanks

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks for the information, take your of your mother for she will always love you
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, she's 93 and the reason I'm in Florida. We ate with a couple that are 97 and 104 and both sharp as can be!

If there is anything I can do to help with your truck let me know and please let me know if you were able to test the sensor of if you need further information

I neglected to attach the picture - sorry

Click here

Thanks