Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

1992 ISUZU AMIGO: IT SAT FOR ABOUT THREE YEARS WHILE IN IRAQ

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1992 ISUZU AMIGO, WITH A 2.6. IT SAT FOR ABOUT THREE YEARS WHILE IN IRAQ. IT WOULD NOT START DUE TO ROTTEN FUEL, CHANGED THE TANK,PUMP, FILTER. NOW IT WILL START AND RUN GREAT FOR HOURS, IF I SHUT IT OFF THEN IT WILL NOT RESTART. IT WILL START AND RUN FOR ABOUT TWO SECONDS AND SHUT OFF. YOU STILL HAVE SPARK AND FUEL AS IT DIES. REPLACED THE ECM AND STILL THE SAME, HAD A CODE 61 AND 21. WILL START COLD AND START AND DIE WARM. ANY IDEAS.......
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 6 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

Given the symptoms, i would think that you have a leak within the intake system........a slight leak only showing when engine is warm.

Billy :

But, i will include the checks and details for the 21 and 61 fault codes so you check accordingly:

Billy :

I would also check all the vacuum hoses, and the one on the pressure regulator and cannister.

Billy :

Make sure all the wiring and connectors are up to norm.

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Customer:

when this thing is warm it will not start, it will run for two seconds and die out, as it is dying out if i spray starting fluid in it, it will continue to run. it is losing fuel somewhere.

Billy :

have you checked the regulator as described?

Billy :

As the cannister and the regulator, are both fuel related.........

Billy :

You need to check the regulator, as it might be leaking pressure.....a compression check would also confirm the fuel pressure loss problem.