Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Isuzu Rodeo Sport 2001 isuzu rodeo customer put battery jumper

Customer Question

2001 isuzu rodeo customer put battery jumper cables on back wards blew 100 amp fuse. now alternator will not charge had alternator tested off of vehicle tested ok. also instrument panel does not work now.
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Hello!

Did you still need help?

Have you checked the inputs to the back of the alternator?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

tested wiring to alternator. had alternator tested off of vehicle. I understand that off vehicle only tests alt not computer inputs. this is where I believe problem is sounds like I have a shorted system because of blowing meter fuse

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Ok.. there are three wires going to the back of the alternator. All three need to have power to them with the key on and engine running. CHances are you just have a blown fuse. By checking these wires for power, we will know which fuse to check. Here is a wiring diagram.

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THE ONLY FUSE THAT IS BAD IS METER # XXXXX KEEPS BLOWING I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHERE A SHORT MIGHT BE IN THE CIRCUIT
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Does this fuse blow if you disconnect the alternator and start the vehicle?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I HAVE NOT I WILL TRY THAT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. PROBABLY WONT BE UNTIL MONDAY, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP SO FAR. ANY OTHER AREAS I SHOULD LOOK AT. THANK YOU BOB

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
YES! If the fuse continues to blow with the alternator dissconencted, see if the battery light comes on with the key on. If not, you might just have a wiring issue going on here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
INSTRUMENT PANEL DOES NOT WORK. THIS WAS ONE THING THAT QUIT WORKING WHEN CUSTOMER HOOKED UP BATTERY CABLES BACKWARDS. I HAVE REPLACED PANEL.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Ok.. one good test we can do is disconnect the instrument panel and turn the key on and see if the fuse continues to blow
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I WILL TRY THAT ALSO I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I DO THESE THINGS WONT BE UNTIL MONDAY THANK YOU BOB
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
SOunds good!

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
SORRY WRONG TECH
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Hello!

No problem!

You cna just respond back with the information when you get it and I can still continue to help you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i HAVE NOT GOT CHANCE TO TRY THE THINGS THAT YOU HAVE SELECTED. I WILL LET YOU KNOW AS SOON AS I DO. THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING BOB
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Sounds good!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
GOOD MORNING FINALLY GOT BACK TO ISUZU. TRIED DISCONNECTED ALT. STILL BLEW FUSE DISCONNECTED INSTRUMENT STILL BLOWN ANY IDEAS BOB
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

Are you saying that the same fuse still blows?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
YES ASKED FOR WIRING DIAGRAM FOR CHARGING SYSTEM WAITING FOR THAT NOW
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately I cannot copy and paste a wiring diagram as it is against JA and copy write laws to do so. However, you can go to alldata.com, Mitchell on demand or even Chilton and get yourself a wiring diagram.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
HAVE ONE.THOUGHT MAYBE A MORE DETAILED DIAGRAM WOULD HELP THANKS ANYWAY
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
You bet!

Please let me know if you have any further questions!