Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair

1988 isuzu trooper: shifts..4th gear to overdrive..engages

Customer Question

I have a 1988 isuzu trooper II . The Transmission never shifts correctly from 4th gear to overdrive , sometimes it engages, sometimes it doesnt. As of lately the truck has been sitting in the garage. One day home on the highway I just started loosing power and going slower and slower. My mechanically inclined friend said it was a random misfire. We changed the distributor cap, the rotor, the plugs, wires, and even the coil pack with no luck. What do I do about the random misfire and the transmission shifting problem? I realize many people have no solution to this problem. Please help. thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 5 years ago.
Hello: This engine is prone to intake vac. leaks, when it is running spray wd-40 at the mounting base of the intake manafold and see if there is a change in the sound of the engine or a change of the engine rpms if so replace the intake manafold gaskets Thanking you in advance.