Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

1999 Isuzu Amigo: V6 3.2 litre fuel injected..bent..valves

I am working on a 1999 Isuzu Amigo V6 3.2 litre fuel injected. The timing belt broke and bent the valves. I am trying to remove the heads but I cannot get the head bolts to turn. Must be seized into the aluminum block. Any tricks to get those bolts out? I have not twisted any off although I have applied an extreme amount of torque to them. The vehicle has 218,00 miles on it and does use some oil.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

In that case.. with all that you have done...they are truly seized.

Given all that you have done so far- I wouldn't apply more brute torque for fear of breaking them - and worse still , taking the alloy threads out with the bolts..

What I would suggest is apply heat - a lot of the head of the bolts.... so that .. the heat goes down / travels down the bolt ...and hopefully helps to un seize them in the threads..

I say a "lot " of heat - you will need a lot - and you will need to judge it so that you get the bolts hot enough - so that the head of the bolts don't twist off....but the heat does its job in releasing the threads..

What I suggest - what I have found successful before - is to apply the heat....don't be tempted to rush it - blasting it with heat - but play the heat long enough - slow but sure - enough until the bolt head is red hot.... You then need to judge it so that the head of the bolt cools back to that you wont damage the bolt as mentioned above- but the heat will have by its very nature - travelled down the bolt (s)...and released the threads... so allow some time for that to happen before attempting removal.

Again - this does work.. but it does take judgment .

In extreme cases - if they just will not come out - you can get the bolt hot enough to take the heads off the bolts - then lift the head off out the way and then deal with the threads - where the bolts are seized. In such cases - welding a head back on the bolt - using heat more directly in the treads - and then removing them.
If you do all that as above ...and it doesn't work - you can confidently say that you have done all that is humanly and mechanically / technically possible .. and the only answer then would be a replacement engine - which does happen...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your prompt help Mike. Unfortunately it looks like we're going to be looking for a replacement engine, bolts will not budge. I've dealt with a lot of stubborn bolts over the years but this is the worst I've seen. Just one more question. Is it possible to pull the engine out by just splitting the engine and transmission and then lifting engine out? The manual says to remove transmission first but would rather not do it that way. It is an automatic transmission with 4 X 4.
Hello again... thank you for your reply..

Im afraid it does happen re the bolts now and again... It will have to be then in that case...its just one of those things as they say... Im sorry its not good !

Give the vehicle that it is - and the fact that its an auto - it is preferable to do it that way Im afraid ( per manual ) I don't even think from what I can recall, that it will come out otherwise - simply because of lack of space.. I sorry I can't be more definitive on that - but if memory serves - it does have to come out that way.. In actual will probably find overall its quicker - and easier to do that .....

Anyway - I wish you all th every best with the task and hope all goes ok for you .

Please don't forget the Accept button for me now - Thank you ....and you are Welcome back anytime..

Kind Rgds - MIKE..