CarDoc, Independent European Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with European cars. Independent European shop owner and technician.

1985 euro testarossa with no cats, 13,100 miles..500 miles..operates

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1985 euro Testarossa with no cats, 13,100 miles. Major done in mid 2006 at 12,500 miles, at Ferrari of San Fran. Engine operates great. Strong pull, no hesitation. but my idles is erratic. Set at 1000 rpm at one traffic light (perfect)....runs at 1500 rpm at the next stop. Could go down to 1100 rpm 3 miles later and up again! Obviously these readings are with the engine at normal temperatures (75 water / 60 oil, kind of tough to build oil temp during the winter). If you turn the engine off when it's warm, it's not unusual to get close to 2000 rpm idle if you fire it right away! Engine starts every time when it's cold, sometimes stalls once but that's it. It's usually idling around 1200 rpm with a bit of variation (goes up 1300 rpm then goes down to 1100 rpm, kind of searching a stable level with limited success.
Thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  CarDoc replied 5 years ago.

CarDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

CarDoc :

And I'll start this conversation by saying that this process *might* not result in a perfect fix, but I should be able to get you down the right path. I'll stay parked in chat until you sign back on

Expert:  CarDoc replied 5 years ago.
Still hoping you can sign back on so that we can talk about the idle problem. No accept needed yet, since I haven't given an answer yet.