Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

spark plugs are firing and fuel is coming..pressure test

Customer Question

i have a 95 izusu rodeo.it died while iwas driving it.the spark plugs are firing and fuel is coming out of the pressure test port.it just turns over and spins but does start
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name isCustomerXXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

It sounds like you might have a timing issue going on here causing your problem!

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
shooting gas into the throttle body and it still does not start
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Yeah... then chances are you just have a timing issue going on here. If I were to guess, I would say a valve timing issue over a ignition timing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do i check that?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Besides a compresssion test with a compression gauge, you will need to pull the front timing cover and have a look at the timing marks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
timing belt is there.it couldn't have just jumped time could it?even if it did it should still run but miss,right?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
It could very well have jumped time. Depending on how far it has jumped will dictate if the engine runs or not.