Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

RA gd

Customer Question

isuzu wont start
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

It sounds like you might have a timing issue going on here causing your problem!

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i did do a noid light test and all injectors seem to be firing ok. i also did a continuity test on each injector. all of them were the same. my continuity tester read 13 on all injectorsa. only thing i have not done is compression test which i am doing right now. i will let you know as soon as i am done
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
sounds good!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok all three cylinders on passenger side (i am assuming 1,3,5) are at 210 after 3 to 4 revolutions. all three cylinders on drivers side (2,4,6) are holding at 180
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
HHMM... it sounds to me like your valve timing is just off on that particular side...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but my spark plugs are wet on both sides??? and what do i do about the timing? are these belt driven or chain and is there two seperate belts???im not familiar with these engines at all. what do you recommend?

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
The camshafts are driving by one timing belt. I would recommend to pull the front cover and take a look at the timing marks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will do. i'll let ya know
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good!

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is there a trick to getting the tensioner pulley off? theres only one bolt and i have that one out but the tensioner wont budge?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Are you talking about the serpentine belt tensioner?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yeah but i already got it. it was just stuck. i have timing covers off and im looking at the timing marks. according to diagrams i have found on the internet, the marks appear to be off.. but the belt appears to be in pefect shape. what could have cause it to jump teeth? if i align cam gears the crank is off by about 3 teeth????. do you have a diagram so i know im looking at the right marks.. my biggest concern is the cams gears. there are 3 different marks on each one. two grooves on outer edge and one line from center to edge. i could take a pic and send it. but im not sure how on this site
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Here is a picture of the timing marks.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok all timing marks seem to line up fine. s where does that leave me now?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
IF the engine has spark when cranking it over, we see if the engine runs on starting fluid
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are you sure thats what i should check. because we're getting more than enough fuel. every time i pull the plugs out . they are soaked
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Dissconnect the fuel injector or unplug the harness that goes to the fuel injectors and crank the engine over. Then see if the engine fires up on starting fluid.

Let me know!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
disconnected injectors. gave it a shot of ether and it started right up
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
So it will continue to stay running on ether?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yep it ran fine for about thirty seconds with nothin but ether

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
SO then it sounds to me like we just have a fuel deliver concern. It sounds to me like the injectors are not firing or simply firing too much fuel.

Didn't you say that they are all lighting the noid light normal when cranking the engine over?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes. all of them fired noid light normally. is there a way to test the injectors? also what about bad gas. i noticed that the gas didnt smell right. didnt seem strong enough of a smell
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Well sure.. you can ohm out each injector... but what are the chances they all went bad at the same time.

YES.. you can check the gas... but you need special equipment. Your better off just taking out a sample and smelling it and checking it yourself and comparing it to known good gas.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all ohm out at 11.7 ohms

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Right..that sounds about right.... I would not think the injectors would cause this problem. Chances are it is going to be an input to the computer causing the computer to hold the injectors wide open. The most likely suspects are the tps, engine coolant temp sensor and mass air flow sensor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
wouldnt these sensors throw some sort of trubl code. when i scan the computer i get no faults detected
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Not necessarily
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well scann shows the water temp at 57 degrees which is about right. since vehicle hasnt ran more than 30 seconds in the last two days. thats about room temp. so is there a way to test tps?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Yeah.. check the output voltage key on engine off. It should be close to .5 or .6 of a volt. Maybe even close to 1.0 volt... but not more then 2.0 volts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i tested all three wires cuz im not sure which one is out put. with black lead on battery neg. and red lead to all three wires i get .04 on the green wire.... and .04 on the blue wire. and 5.03 on the red wire
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Does the voltage go up on either of the green wire or the blue wire as you open the throttle with the key on?

Is this will the sensor plugged in back probing the connector?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the blue one shoots up to to 4.39 when i open throttle. green one nuthin
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
try disconnecting the tps and see if the engine starts...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
SURE DID!!!! WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
HA! You might just have a shorted out tps sensor!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes. im gonna change it right now. i'll let ya know
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good!

Again, it should be close to about .5 (a half of a volt) key on engine off when installed properly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i changed tps and it started and ran fine for about 30 seconds. longest its ran since ive had it. when i try to start it right away again. it wont start. if i wait about 30 seconds, it starts right up again. runs really good for 30 seconds and then slowly dies

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Can you keep the engine running if you keep your foot on the gas pedal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no. now that ive changed the tps the engine starts and it sounds a LOT better . but it revs kinda high for about 20 seconds then dies. if i touch the gas pedal at all it dies instantly

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
WHat is the engine vacuum at idle?

WHat is the tps voltage at key on engine off?

HAve you checked the mass air flow sensor and for air and vacuum leaks?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

dont know how to check vaccuum. and best i can adjust the tps is .7

i cant get it any lower than that

dont know how to check maf. and i cant find any vaccuum leaks yet, but then again i cant seem to get it to runn long enough

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Do you know what the fuel pressure is at?

If you add propane ot the intake while stepping on the gas, does the engine "come alive"?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

45 lbs. fuel pressure

and i cant touch the gas pedal or it dies

but yes i can keep it running with starting fluid as long as i dont touch gas pedal

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
My point is if the engine is not getting enough gas when stepping on the gas pedal. You can find this out by spraying starting fluid into the intake at the same time someone steps on the gas pedal and see if the engine comes to life. If it does, you just have a fuel delivery concern.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok yes. it will stay running with ether while giving it gas

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. then if the fuel pressure checks out, chances are you just have a bad mass air flow sensor. Just be sure that the air snorkle is not ripped or cracked in any way.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i changed maf sensor and now i can keep it running if i feather the pedal. but if i hold pedal still in any position it dies
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Well, Next step is to check the valve timing and fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

fuel lpressure is at 45 lbs and i just pulled off timing covers. all timing marks are dead on. according to the diagram you sent me yesterday

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. then I am all out of ideas.

I will leave this question open.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
one last thing. i left the fuel pressure gauge on while reving the engine. and the pressure drops to 20 lbs while reving engine. is that normal?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
NO.. the fuel pump is bad. Just be sure the filter is good, no kinks in the fuel pressure line and power to the pump is ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the fuel pump and filter were thefirst things i replaced?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
THey could have been installed wrong or you could have a bad new pump.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
well for one. he closed the question without me accepting. i waited 3 days for a response only to find out he closed the question. i am not happy paying money to be told i installed fuel pump wrong. im a good mechanic and i know how to install a fuel pump. i may not be good with certain diagnostics but i know how to install a fuel pump
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Sorry for the delay!

Maybe you did install the fuel pump correct, but you could just have a bad new fuel pump?

It does happen from time to time.

Just a thought.

Remember, I am just trying to help you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i finally figured it out. someone had pinched a fuel line. i got it running but its idleing really high still. i replaced iac, tps, and maf. still too high, when i pull iac out and put my finger in the hole it idles fine. would that mean the brand new iac is bad or would there be something wrong with the throttle body?

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
With the iac out of the picture, the engine should not idle at all. If it does, chances are you just have an air or a vacuum leak.