NicksSticks
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Drivetrain and Chassis Master, ASE Master Technician
21564301

1999 ford taurus: headlights..fuse under the dash

my 1999 ford taurus headlights will not turn on the parks work i checked the fuse under the dash its good the lights are good to there new
Category: Car
Expert:  NicksSticks replied 5 years ago.

NicksSticks :

Hi, does your highbeams work, in flashing position, or clicking to high beam?

Customer:

no

NicksSticks :

Do you have Automatic headlamps?

Customer:

the guy at auto zone said i am getting power to the plug

Customer:

no

NicksSticks :

Power to the plug at the head lamp circuit on both sides? Both headlamps have seperate circuits, along with grounds, if power at the plug, with new lamps, not likely. What was used to test? a test lamp or a volt meter?

Customer:

a volt meter both sides

Customer:

the lights r new

NicksSticks :

That may be why, you are getting power. Need a load to measure actual voltage, a volt meter only reads "dead" voltage. That is good information thank you. If 12 volts at connector, where head lamp goes in, with a volt meter only, there is high resistance in the circuit. If car is availible, can you do a test for me really quick? Start car, turn the headlamp switch to on position, and pull the blinker switch towards you quickly, about five times, let me know if the high beams, or head lamps come on or flash at all. This will mean alot.

Customer:

he went from plug to the battery got 12 volt

Customer:

why

Customer:

hold on im going to check

NicksSticks :

Your measuring voltage without a load with a volt meter. With a lamp plugged in, likely got 12 volts, but with no load, will not read resistance (what causes problems) from the battery, to the junction box, through the switch, through 2 fuses, to the connector. A test lamp would have been a better check, believe it or not. Great, let me know what happens!

NicksSticks :

Hi, anything happen?

Customer:

i turned the car on and then the head lamps switch on clicked the blinker switch towards me five times and nothing happend

Customer:

where would the 2 fuses located in the car?

NicksSticks :

Thank you for doing the test. Now if headlamps for sure had 12 volts at the connector, with no lighting, I would definetly first check the connector for power with a test lamp, not a volt meter, if no lighting, then the multifunction switch is causing the problem, this is the switch used for blinkers, only part that that power to the front headlamps go through. Then 2 seperate circuits, and 2 seperate grounds for the headlamps after this, extremly unlikely a break in both wires, and fuses. Fuses are located under the hood.

Customer:

my names Peter Balboni and my phone number is XXXXX Thank you again

NicksSticks :

Your welcome, can not chat through email or phone hear, but will leave question open, just simply reply to this same post. Will leave it open (no more cost to you) and will check up on you to see whats going on. An accept is extremly appreciated and will still be here for you.

Customer:

thank you im off to work ttyl

Your welcome, just contact me here on this post.