George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

What is the main metal of a crankshaft?

Customer Question

What is the "main metal" of a crankshaft?
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Most cranks are cast steel but some are forged.

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm translating a Japanese patent about hybrid vehicles, and I came across a phrase that says "the main metal of the crankshaft." I don't understand what the "main metal" is, but it looks like you don't know what it is either. This is fine. I'll just keep looking.
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

If you can provide the context I may be able to help but when you say "What is the "main metal" of a crankshaft"? I hear you asking "What is a crankshaft made of"?

Please provide the context of your question and I will help you with the meaning.

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There's no real context. They are just talking about the engine of a hybrid vehicle and say that they place an oil reservoir above the crankshaft and let the oil drip on the main metal of the crankshaft. Maybe they mean main metal assembly, I don't know. In any event, I understand that this is an obscure question that may not have a ready answer, so I'm not expecting miracles.
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

I think they mean the main bearings of the crank. I have worked on Japanese and Korean vehicles for more than 20 years and some of the translations can be obscure when you read them in english but make perfect sense in the native language.

It would male sense to add additional lubrication this way but it would reduce the horsepower available if the oil wound up around the crank.

Many engines use a "windage tray" that almost touches the crank to remove any oil that winds around the crank so it is available to lubricate and to reduce the power required to move the crank and the weight of the oil.

Is this a road vehicle such as a Prius/Insight or something else?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks. They don't say what type of vehicle it is, except that it is a hybrid. The problem they are trying to solve is that of insufficient lubrication, which occurs when the engine (which drives the oil pump) remains off for long periods of time, and only the electric motor is used for propulsion.
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

I understand and having the "main metal" gravity lubricated would make perfect sense to keep some oil on the bearing

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you with this

Thank you