Alex
Alex, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist
15182921

Land Rover Range Rover HSE how to fix cylinder 5 misfire detected

how to fix cylinder 5 misfire detected on range rover. I pulled code p0305 & p1170 from my code reader
Category: Car
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with your question.

This is most likely caused by a faulty ignition coil on cylinder 5. I suggest to first change all of the spark plugs if they haven't been done in the last 30k. While you have the coils out, switch the coil from cylinder 5 with a coil from a different cylinder and clear the codes. If the codes come back, check to see if you now have a misfire on the cylinder you switched the coil to. If so, replace the coil. Cylinder 5 is the cylinder closest to the front of the engine on the left (driver) side:

graphic

graphic

graphic

The p1107 is almost always caused by a bad catalytic converter. The catalyst can be damaged by an ignition related misfire because too much un-burned fuel can enter the exhaust and the catalyst. I would first get the misfire taken care of and clear the codes. I would even clear the 1107 a couple more times before deciding to replace the catalytic converter.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The code was p1170 not p1107 replace catalytic converters 9 months ago
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
Sorry about the confusion. The p1170 indicates a problem with the front o2 sensor on bank one. This almost always indicates a problem with the sensor itself. If you can, view the sensor waveform on a scan tool. If the sensor is slow or dead, replace the bank one sensor.