Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

2002 corvette z06: 000 miles..gets hot..cools starts fine

I have a 2002 corvette z06, i was driving it everyday, it has 142,000 miles on it. I have been constantly having a problem that once the car gets hot, it will not start, it doesn't make any noise when it will not start, once it cools down for 2 or 3 hours, it starts fine. My chevy dealer checked the starter, and it is fine. They have changed the starter relay, the clutch switch and now they just changed the ignition and i am still having the starting issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. David
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

Will the engine turn over/ crank when this happens?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it will not crank, turn over, or make any noise when this happens.
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello David

If the car's not cranking then first check that the main battery cables are on tight and are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.
There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank.

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Also I'd try adding a heatshield between the motor and the exhaust as heatsoak can make a the starter bind up so preventing the heat transfer stops the binding up

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor