Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2002 frelander v6 is refusing to start. Battery is good 11.7 volts 9.

Our 2002 frelander v6 is refusing to start. Battery is good 11.7 volts 9.9 when cranking.
No trouble codes but engine just turns but shows no sign of firing.
Any ideas?

Does the engine crank over and not start or does it not even crank over at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I cranks readily. but shows no sign of firing.
Sorry for the delay!

Do you know if you have spark when cranking the engine over?

Are there any anti theft lights or security lights on or flashing on the dash?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know if we have a spark. There are no flashing security lights. The brake warning, oil pressure and charge lights are lit as with a normal start. All the lights go through the test sequence at turn on. Right now we await the CAA bring the car home so I can't check for sparks.
If you do not have any spark, you might just have a bad crankshaft position sensor.

If you have spark and no fuel pressure, you might just have a bad fuel pump or a bad fuel pump module. Fuel injected cars are very fuel pressure sensitive. Fuel pressure is very important and must be within specifications! But if the pressure is low, it does not mean the pump is bad. A plugged fuel filter, a pinched line, and low voltage at the pump can contribute to low fuel pressure. All three must be check before replacing the pump! Fuel pressure testing is frequently overlooked but it is one of the common causes of poor performance and hard/no start conditions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have a shop manual for the Freelander so can you tell me the fuel pressure specs and where I will find the fuel filter. The car has 220,000 Km and 90,000 on a replacement engine so the filter may be the culprit. We always use premium gas but there has been lots through the filter so some dirt is inevitable. I'll check the coils for impulses on the right bank as the left bank is tough to access.
The fuel pressure on this engine is
350kPa (3.5 bar, 54.7 psi)

The Fuel Filter is located within the fuel pump and in a plastic body which incorporates a coarse mesh filter and a serviceable fine mesh filter.