CarDoc
CarDoc, Independent European Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with European cars. Independent European shop owner and technician.

The radiator cap to add antifreeze on my 2000 range Rover hse

Customer Question

Hello.. I am a newbe and was wondering where is the radiator cap to add antifreeze on my 2000 range Rover hse??
Category: Car
Expert:  CarDoc replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Jason.
I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

There isn't a true "radiator" cap, but there is an expansion (coolant/antifreeze) tank to the right (passenger) side of the engine compartment where coolant is added. It is near the rear of the engine compartment, in the corner.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you speaking about the resivour tank? If so, how will I know if I have added enough antifreeze to fill the actual radiator?
Expert:  CarDoc replied 3 years ago.

Well, that tank supplies the radiator. There are markings on the outside of the tank that show the full point. If you're just topping the system off for regular maintenance, it shouldn't take a large amount. If you've just replaced a cooling system component, and drained the system, fill it until it's full, leave the cap off, and start the car. Keep filling until it doesn't take any more coolant, and cap it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok...I understand . When I start the car after filling the tank , I should have the heat on cool inside the car, correct?
Expert:  CarDoc replied 3 years ago.
The heat should be on full hot, to circulate hot air through the heater core
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok..my last question. I think I may have a head gasket issue. How do I confirm? I added college on the reserv, started the engine..I had the a/c on high, and I started to get steam coming from the gasket/ spark plug area of the engine (smelled like antifreeze)..?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Repost..due to typo

Ok..my last question. I think I may have a head gasket issue. How do I confirm? I added antifreeze to the reserv, started the engine..I had the a/c on high, and I started to get steam coming from the gasket/ spark plug area of the engine (smelled like antifreeze)..?
Expert:  CarDoc replied 3 years ago.

Your question asked was where to pour coolant, which I answered.

Trying to diagnose a possible head gasket leak, or cylinder liner problem, or other diagostic-instensive hands-on problem is beyond the scope of this format.