John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience
19563796

2004 suzuki: towed..electrical system..blown..the car started

i have a 2004 suzuki xl 7. i was traveling 60 mph and the car went dead. i had it towed and the mechanic checked the electrical system and found no issues except a blown 15 amp fuse which he replaced, and the car started perfectly. the other day i went out and the car was dead, i replaced the same fuse and the car started. i have never touched the electrical system and the car has run great for 110,000 miles...any help you can provide is great.....
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

John :

Hello

John :

We need to know what is causing the fuse to blow. The first step to this is knowing what components are on that fuse.

Customer:

hello

Customer:

ok

John :

Do you know what number the fuse is in the fuse box?

Customer:

what do you need

Customer:

okay...i need to leave for 1 hour...can i contact you when i return?

John :

Yes.

Customer:

okay..thank you

John :

I need to know which fuse has blown.

Customer:

i will get that info to you when i return.......i appreciate it

John :

I will be watching for your response. Thank you.

Customer:

john...thanks for waiting..it is fuse #2..a 15 amp fuse

John :

Ok, great. Let me look that up

John :

It may not matter, but is your Suzuki 2WD or 4WD?

Customer:

its 4wd

John :

Thanks

John :

Fuse number 2 looks like a 60 amp fuse?

John :

I am going to attach a picture to make sure we are looking at the same thing.

Customer:

from the book...it says EFI...and states that its a 15 amp fuse

John :

Can you see that?

Customer:

i see it...the fuse location is in the upper right hand corner..the long looking row which i believe represents fuses

John :

The fuses are in the center. But if the book says it is EFI then lets try that.

John :

Does it look more like this?

Customer:

john...i apologize its more like the first one...its top row 2 nd fuse to the right of the horn delay. page 13-1 of my book...the numbering system in your book is different

Customer:

its says bliue (15)..FI..not efi...

John :

ok

John :

no problem

Customer:

your photo shows it 15 amp also (I looked closer)

John :

I think mine calls it number 8?

Customer:

i think your right...its not that clear, but i believe it does

Customer:

i zoomed up, the numbering system in your photo is different than my owners manual

John :

ok, that fuse is for the 'main relay'. This would definitely cause a no start. However, the main relay is powered up by the ignition switch and supplies power to other relays, fuses and control modules. These components don't usually short out. So I think you may have a damaged wire somewhere in the wiring harness that is occasionally grounding and blowing the fuse.

Customer:

ok...is it easy to trace, or should i just bring it to the dealer??

Customer:

i'm so-so when it comes to this type of work

John :

Could be hard to find.

John :

I would also check the fuel pump circuit.

Customer:

ok...i appreciate the help

John :

I can not tell just now if that is the fuel pump fuse or not, but if the fuel pump is failing it could be drawing too much current and overloading the fuse.

Customer:

this would also cause the car to "die" when its running...correct?

John :

This can be checked easily by your mechanic if he can 'current ramp' the fuel pump.

John :

If you want to do some checking yourself, start by checking around the battery for corrosion.

John :

The most common wiring damage I see is from a battery that once leaked and caused damage to the wires around it.

John :

The wire leading from the fuse is black and red.

Customer:

okay...thanks again for your help

John :

Glad to help. You can reply to me on this thread anytime if you have any questions about this.

John :

Thank you

John :

Please don't forget to click the accept button if you are happy with my answers.

Customer:

no problem...fyi..i started to trace the wires as suggested. well i realized that when we got the vehicle, it was used (from staten island). it had a car alarm that i had disconnected. come to find out when iwas tracing the wires, when i disconnectd the alarm and sealed off the wires, i taped them to the alarm itself. well the tape gave loose and was rubbing against the engine, the tape and caps burned off and the wires were exposed. this must have been the short........

Customer:

thanks for the help