Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

Land Rover LR3 i have a 2005 lr3 the wipers only work on high

i have a 2005 lr3 the wipers only work on high rear wipers work fine i replace the wiper switch and a new wiper motor i have checked all the fuses that i can find that has to do with the wipers i have swapped the relays in the engine conpartment is there another relay in side somewhere
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Randall. I noticed your post this am. Are you still in need of help if I can offer?

Also do you have a testlight?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i have a test light
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Please allow me some time to pull up diagrams and info. I will get with you as quick as I can. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Ok, in the under hood fuse box are 2 relays for the wipers. and 1 main fuse for wipers, a 30 amp fuse.The system is rather complex in that it does not just operate with simple switch and fuse and motor and relay. the whole system is controlled bet the CJB ( central junction box) up and behind the glove box. It is a micro computer designed to control various items. The switch signals the CJB and then the CJB signals the wiper motor. The main wiper fuse has to be good as they do operate in high. the relays? are possible but you swapped them. You have done the switch and motor assy so.. this narrows the problem down to the CJB most likley. It is the controller for speeds. I suspect a circuit has faled within it. Not easy to diagnose and LR does not provide disgnostic info so I have to go on whet you have done and tried so far. I put the full descrption below and diagram showing the complexity of the system. I lean to bad CJB. Have seen this before.

Wipers And Washers

DESCRIPTION

Introduction
The wiper and washer system is controlled by the Central Junction Box (CJB) on receipt of requests made by the driver or the rain/sunlight sensor (if fitted). All wiper functions for the front and rear wipers are controlled from a multi-function wash/wipe switch assembly located on the right hand side of the steering column.

The front wiper system has five stages of operation and six intermittent delay periods. The five wiper stages are as follows:

• Flick wipe
  • Off
  • Intermittent
  • Normal speed continuous
  • Fast speed continuous.
OPERATION

Front

Power Distribution
Feed from the positive battery terminal (C0192) is supplied to fuse 29E and fusible link 11E on an R wire. Both are located in the Battery Junction Box (BJB) (C0632). Fuse 29E provides a constant battery feed to both wiper relays, which are also located in the BJB.

Fusible link 11E (C0570) is connected to the ignition switch (C0028) by an N wire. When the ignition switch is in the auxiliary position, current flows across the switch (C0028) to the Central Junction Box (CJB) (C0582) on a W wire. The auxiliary ignition feed is provided to fuse 11P, fuse 18P and the washer pump relay.

Fuse 11P provides a second auxiliary ignition feed to the washer pump relay. Fuse 18P (C0585) provides an auxiliary ignition feed to the rain sensor (C0961) on a G wire.

When the ignition switch is in the ignition position, current flows across the switch (C0028) to the CJB (C0582) on a Y wire. The CJB (C0585) is provided a ground via a B wire.

Wash Wipe Switch
The CJB provides a number of signal feeds to the wash/wipe switch to monitor requests made by the driver. If intermittent wipe is selected, the CJB (C0580) registers a ground via the switch (C0278) on an LGG wire. If normal (slow) continuous wipe is selected, the CJB (C0580) registers a ground via the switch (C0278) on a GS wire. If fast continuous wipe is selected, the CJB (C0580) registers a ground via the switch (C0278) on an RLG wire.

If the programmed wash/wipe function is requested, the CJB (C0580) registers a ground via the switch (C0278) on an LG wire. The wash/wipe switch is provided a ground via a B wire.

Normal Continuous and Intermittent Wipe
If normal wipe is selected, the CJB (C0584) provides a ground for the coil of wiper relay 1 (C0570) on an R wire. Current flows across the energised relay to the switch contacts of wiper relay 2. Wiper relay 2 (C0570) is deenergised and provides a feed to the wiper motor (C0030) on a ULG wire. Current flows through an in-line resistor and across the motor windings to ground on a B wire. The motor will now operate at normal (slow) speed.

By switching the ground for wiper relay 1 on and off, the CJB can control the intermittent wipe function.

Fast Continuous Wipe
If fast continuous wipe is selected, the CJB (C0584) provides a ground for the coil of wiper relay 1 (C0570) on an R wire and for the coil of wiper relay 2 (C0570) on a PU wire. Wiper relay 2 (C0570) is now able to provide a feed to the wiper motor (C0030) on an RLG wire. Current flows across the motor windings to ground on a B wire. The motor will now operate at fast speed.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is the cjb and actual controler like an ecm or idm box that can be replaced
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Yes, 100%. now adays the fuse box is a micro computer. It will look like a fuse box but in fact its a module. It is actually reprogramable . I cant say a reflash of the CJB will fix the problem but possible.

Central Junction Box (CJB)

Removal

1. If the central junction box (CJB) is to be replaced, connect T4 to the vehicle.
  2. Remove the glove compartment.
  3. Remove the passenger side closing trim panel.
    • Release the clip.
    • Remove the 2 screws.
    • Disconnect the electrical connector.

1. Remove the CJB.
    • Remove the 2 nuts.
    • Disconnect the 6 electrical connectors.

Installation

1. Install the CJB.
    • Connect the electrical connectors.
    • Tighten the nuts to 10 Nm (7 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install the closing trim panel.
    • Connect the electrical connector.
    • Secure the clip.
  1. Install the glove compartment.
  2. Initiate a new CJB using T4.

Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair