Alex, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist

2003 pontiac grand Prix: V6..I found the temp gauage was not working

Need some feed back. I have a 2003 Pontica Grand Prix with a 3800 V6. Last week I found the temp gauage was not working. Replaced the temp. sensor. Gauage still did not work. Did more looking around and a found that the green wire from the temp. sencor to the connection from the temp. gauage had been broken looks like a a verment got into the engine compartment and ate on some wires. Tryed to find the proper conntions with no luck. I have jumped the green wire from the tem. sencor to the conntion plug over to the green wire were it was broken then pluged the black and yellow wire back into the connection. Gauage is working but now the gauage will show that the car is over heating going above 210 temp. Installed a new thermostat bleed the coolent out from the value on top of the thermostat housing. Still over heating. The temp.sencor that I put in is a BWD/WT3024. Should I have gotten a different style sencor ? And what else should I be looking at. Before the sencor went down the temp. to the car was fine.
Category: Car
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with your question.

The gauge itself could be faulty and giving inaccurate readings. I would first make a solid repair on the wire that was broken by soldering or using crimp connectors. If you need to add your own length of wire in, make sure it is the same gauge wire as the original. This circuit works using resistance, so if there is a bad connection or different size wire in the circuit, it will affect the gauge reading. If all of this checks out, the gauge itself will most likely need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the original size wire ? The wire I used is biger. I did used crimp connectors also. So as long as I use the same class wire jumping over the plug in is ok ? Was this the correct temp. sencor that was gavig to me ?
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
Yeah it sounds like you got the right sensor. You can connect the pins directly to the sensor without the original connector, just make sure the wire you use to repair is the same thickness at the rest of the wire on that circuit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The wire I have jumped with is 18 gauge . Is that a good size or do I need smaller wire you never told me what the size of the wire should be
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
The wire should be 20 gauge. But take a sample of the original wiring or something the same thickness if you go to buy more wire. You still have the wiring on the rest of the circuit for size-reference.