Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years

Oil leak..the tranny from the engine block on this particular truck

Customer Question

I have an oil leak between my engine block and Transmission. I was told I need to remove the transmission to replace this leak. What is the best way to remove the tranny from the engine block on this particular truck?
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is a 2000 Chevy S10
160K miles
2.2L Manual Transmission
I haven't tried anything, As I have never removed this tranny before.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
the best way to pull that transmission is to follow this procedure here.print this out as soon as you can as the pictures time out quickly

Removal Procedure

1. Shift the transmission into 3rd or 4th speed gear
  2. Remove the shift lever. Refer to Shift Lever.
  3. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  4. Drain the transmission oil. Refer to Fluid Replacement.
  5. Remove the rear propeller shaft. Refer to Propeller Shaft Replacement-Rear.
  6. Remove the exhaust manifold pipe. Refer to Exhaust Manifold Replacement (Right) or Exhaust Manifold Replacement (Left).

1. Remove the two bolts and nut securing the support to the transmission and engine.

1. Remove the two bolts securing the support to the transmission and engine.

1. Use the J42371, push back on the white plastic sleeve on the quick connect in order to separate the hydraulic clutch line from the concentric slave cylinder quick connect.
  2. Disconnect the wiring harness and connector from the vehicle speed sensor, backup lamp switch, and transmission harness retainers.

1. Remove the bolts securing the clutch housing cover to the transmission.
  2. Remove the transmission rear mount.
  3. Support the transmission with a transmission jack.
  4. Remove the bolts securing the transmission to the engine.
  5. Pull the transmission straight back on the clutch hub splines. Do not let the transmission hang from the clutch plate and the clutch cover.
  6. Remove the transmission from the vehicle.
  7. Remove the clutch plate and the clutch cover from the engine flywheel if required. Refer to Clutch Assembly Replacement in Clutch.

1. If required, remove the insulator from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the clutch plate and the clutch cover to the engine flywheel if removed. Refer to Clutch Assembly Replacement.
  2. If removed, install the insulator to the vehicle.
  3. Install the transmission.
3.1. Ensure the transmission is positioned in the 3rd or 4th speed gear.
3.2. Rotate the transmission clockwise onto the clutch hub splines.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

3.3. Install the bolts securing the transmission to the engine.
  • Tighten the bolts to 47 Nm (35 ft. lbs.) .

1. Install the clutch housing cover using the bolts.
    • Tighten the bolts to 14 Nm (10 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install the transmission rear mount.
  2. Install the clutch line to the concentric slave cylinder. Refer to Concentric Slave Cylinder in Clutch.

1. Install the two bolt securing the right side support to the transmission and engine.
    • Tighten the bolts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) .

1. Install the two bolts and nut securing the left side support brace to the transmission and engine.
    • Tighten the bolts and nuts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install the exhaust manifold pipe. Refer to Exhaust Manifold Replacement (Right) or Exhaust Manifold Replacement (Left).
  2. If equipped with a transfer case, install the front propeller shaft. Refer to Propeller Shaft Replacement-Front.
  3. Install the rear propeller shaft. Refer to Propeller Shaft Replacement-Rear.
  4. Install the shift tower. Refer to Shift Tower Replacement.
  5. Fill the transmission with transmission fluid. Refer to Fluid Replacement.
  6. Install the shift lever.
Gary, Technician
Experience: GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, point 5 says "Remove the rear propeller shaft. Refer to Propeller Shaft Replacement-Rear."

How do I remove the rear propeller shaft?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
inbolt the 4 bolts holding the drive shaft into the rear diff.yolk.pop it out with a screwdriver.then just slide the drive shaft back and out of the transmission
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cant seem to get the rear universal joint to drop from the rear differential. I removed the 4 bolts and it looks like there are some c rings/snap rings that need to be removed. Do I need a snap ring removal tool for this? If so, what is the exact snap ring removal tool I need? It seems there are more than one size snap ring tool...
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
no remove the 4 bolts then the little c-caps will come off.then put a big screw driver or prybar between the ujoint and the inner rear yold and pop the u-joint and the drive shaft right our of the rear diff yolk