Mechanic Martyn
Mechanic Martyn, Mechanic
Experience:  Advanced trade certificate in Automotive engineering
17982882

4.6l..V8 80k miles theres a tapping noise sounds like a lifter/

2004 land rover discovery 4.6l V8 80k miles theres a tapping noise sounds like a lifter/pushrod one of the two but not sure
Category: Car
Expert:  Mechanic Martyn replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just answer.
Sound idea with the synthetic and the engine cleaner.
It will take maybe 1000km to work it's magic.
There is probably a sticky lifter by your description. I am sure you probably changed the oil filter at the same time - if you didn't it would be a good idea.
Give it time and the tapping noise will probably subside - otherwise you are going to have to replace some lifters.
regards
Mechanic Martyn
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there anything else I can do
Hello again
There is nothing else to do without some dismantling.
The options are
1. To isolate the tapping lifter and remove and fit a new one.
2. To isolate the tapping lifter and clean it - the best way is sonically but it involves striping it apart and access to a sonic parts cleaner.
Honestly the best thing is to let the fresh oil and the additive (and the new filter) do their thing for a week or two.
I'd take it out for a drive at highway speeds for an hour or more today to get everything moving around.
Time and patience is the key with this solution.
If the noise gets any louder it would be an indication that the lifter is unrecoverable and will need replacing immediately before it does any damage to the camshaft.

regards
Mechanic Martyn
Mechanic Martyn, Mechanic
Experience: Advanced trade certificate in Automotive engineering