Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Disabled due to theft system remove ignition key: This started..trys

Starting disabled due to theft system remove ignition key: This started about a month ago and has been happining more lately. This past couple of days its been taking 3 or 4 trys ... to start. I get the message with the 3 minute count down. I understand there could be two broken wires in the stearing column.

What are my options ? I heard I can get a resistor installed and by-pass this problem.
Does the stearing wheel need to be removed ?

What would the cost be ? If I take it to a dealer to be repaired instead of a qualified shop to have the resistor installed. Its 1997 cadillac seville sts its a good running car, but because of the age I'm not sure if its worth taking to the dealer. Cost wise ...
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

Kalamykid :

This system is easy to bypass with a resister. You will notneed to pull the steeriing wheel apart to do this. You will need to pull the under dash panel out so you have access to the underside of the steering column. With a digital volt meter measure the resistance of the chip in your key, making sure not to touch te tesat probes to the key itself. If you are holding the key as if you where about to stick it into the ignition switch, hold the red lead to the side of the chip that is facing you, and the black lead to the chip on the other side of the key. Let me know what the resistance is and I can look up what resister you need to get to bypass the system. Then it is just a matter of unplugging the two white wires and placing the resister in there place.

Kalamykid :

If you want to repair the system correctly then yes you will have to pull the steering column, the steering lock plate, the clock spring, and the turn signal switch to get access to the ignition switch and the two wires that are bad about breaking. I can help you test to see if this is your problem before you go pullng everything apart if you have a digital volt meter.

Customer:

Since I'm not into car repairs myself... I'm going to have to have a shop do it. What would the cost be either way ? If I go the resister way would this cause any long term problems ? Could I still use the same keys.

Kalamykid :

I can walk you through doing all the testing and the repairs. I can post diagrams to help you locat the wires that need to be tested and give you plain english explinations on how to do the testing and the repairs.

Kalamykid :

If all you want to do is bypass the system it is as easy as unplugging and plugging in a toaster oven.

Customer:

If thats possible with the diagrams that would be great. I have a brother that works on cars more hobby for him. But alarm systems are not a strong point.

Kalamykid :

As for the cost to have a shop do the bypass, a radio/alarm company will be the best place to take it to and should not cost you more then $60.00 to have them bypass the system for you with a resister. If you want to have the wires replaced that are bad about breaking you are looking at around $200.00 parts and labor, might be a little bit higher depending on the labor rate at the shop you take it to.

Kalamykid :

Do you have a digital volt meter?

Customer:

I would like to know each way .... either resistor or just unpluging . I know my brother does

Customer:

have a volt meter

Kalamykid :

Do you have a digital volt meter with a digital ohms setting on it?

Kalamykid :

You can not just unplug this system, you have to fix it or bypass it.

Customer:

ok, so either. The by-pass is different from the resistor or the same ?

Kalamykid :

An old anolog meter will not work for testing the system or the resistance of the chip.

Kalamykid :

the resister will bypass the system, to repair it you would have to pull the ignition switch out and replace the wires to it.

Customer:

I know my brother has a digital and if not I'll buy one ...

Kalamykid :

see if he can loan you his digital meter. Thenwe can see if the problem is the two wires or not.

Kalamykid :

From there you can decide what you want to do, repair it or bypass it.

Customer:

Ok, I'll go the bypass. Like I said earlier its a 1997 and I rather not put alot of money into it ... i just had a engine but in.

Kalamykid :

TO repair it corectly will not cost you that much, just the new ignition switch. if you do not have the tools needed to do the job other than the digital volt meter, you can rent them from auto zone, oreilly's or advance auto parts and when you are done you can tak them back and get all your money back for them.

Customer:

But if I replace the ignition switch won't I need new keys ?

Kalamykid :

no. There is a way to replace just the two wires and reuse your lock cylinder and key

Customer:

can i still take it to a radio/alarm to be repair the right way ?

Customer:

do you have a diagrams for either way ?

Kalamykid :

Teh alarm place will not be able to repair the ystem that you would need to take to your regular mechanic to have done, the radio/ alarm place can do the bypass for you.

Customer:

You mention you could post diagrams ... would you have them for both ways so I can decide ..

Kalamykid :

Hold on and I will post some of them for you.

Customer:

Thank you ...

Kalamykid :

Full Size Image
here is waht the new switch will look like.

Kalamykid :

Full Size Image

Kalamykid :

Here is what happens to the wires to the switch.

Kalamykid :

Full Size Image

Kalamykid :

all you have to do is swap out the top part of the switch as I have done in this pic and put the new wires on your old switch so you do not have to replace the key.

Customer:

now if I want to by-pass do you have a diagram

Kalamykid :

Let me find the pic of the wire harness where you have to istall the resister.

Kalamykid :

Full Size Image
In this pic this is where the main plug for the ignition switch, turn signal switch, and the wiper switch plugs in and where the resister will need to be installed.

Kalamykid :

Full Size Image
This is the ignition switch main plug from the ignition switch. The turn signal switch plug and the wiper switch plug are mounted to either side of this plug and there is a bolt in the center of this plug.

Kalamykid :

Yopu will need to pull the bolt loose "it will not come all the way out so you canhold it in your hand but will stay in the plug" to pull the smaller plug on the side loose to install the resister.

Kalamykid :

Full Size Image
This is the turn signal switch plug that mounts in the side of the ignition switch plug. The first two pin hols are where the two wirs for the ignition switch run to.

Customer:

looking at the diagram .... which numbers would I deal with ....

Kalamykid :

All you have to do is cut the wires at this plug and solder the resister to the two small metal ends from the ignition switch and push the resister back into the plug.

Kalamykid :

What do you mean by what number woudl you deal with?

Customer:

the s numbers

Kalamykid :

I am not sure what you mean be the S NUMBERS?

Customer:

I think I'm better off having my brother looking at it first since he understands cars ... I think your diagrams and information here he will be able to fix my problem ... like I said earlier hes not much into alarms ...

Customer:

s225 those numbers on the last diagram

Kalamykid :

I am still not sure what you mean, but the two small wires from the first pic of the ignition switch will run to the plud in the last pic. All he has to do is install the correct resister into the conectors and cut the old wires off.

Customer:

Ok, just me

Kalamykid :

The only tools you need to do the bypass will be a paper clip,7mm socket, and 8 mm and a 10 mm, a ratchet, the digital volt meter, and a soldering iron with some solder.

Kalamykid :

I almost forgot the wire cutters.

Kalamykid :

You need the paper clip to pull the metal ends out of the plug so you can cut the wire off of them and solder the resister to the metal ends.

Customer:

I thank you for your help, now I can make a better decision either bypass or fix.. thank you for your quote on repairs prices ... I will check out local shops. Any recomentions concerning standing, what i mean is license and such .

Kalamykid :

then you put the metal ends back in the plug with the resister attached and put the plug back together and you are done.

Customer:

I know I do not want to take it to the dealer ... that quote of $ 200 --- would go up maybe to $ 300

Kalamykid :

Any good mechanic shop will be able to do the repair if you go that route, just make sure to ask around and see how your neibors recomend, or let your brother do it, and i can walk him through it. aS for the bypass route, any good radio shop should be able to do the bypass in about 20 minutes.

Kalamykid :

if you take it to the delear you are lokking at around $400.

Kalamykid :

Either way you want to go I would be more then happy to walk you througyh doing your choise the bypass or the repair.

Customer:

Yes, found that last time when my secutity system went out .... cost me over $ 500 .... and it turn out it was the battery that went dead .... It shut everything down ...

Customer:

just wondering if I do the by-pass will the rest of my security work ?

Kalamykid :

yes

Kalamykid :

And you would only have to do it again if the battery goes dead.

Customer:

and this will not cause me any problems down the road by doing the by-pass ?

Kalamykid :

Thew antitheft system will never give you a problem again

Kalamykid :

none

Kalamykid :

no problems at all

Customer:

Thank you ...what numbers should my brother be looking for fon his meter

Kalamykid :

It can be anything from 1.00 to 16.00 ohms

Customer:

ok, thank you for all your help .... if I have anyother questions or need you to walk my brother thur it I'll contact you .... the odds are I'll take it to a alarm/radio shop if my brother feels uncomfortable..

Kalamykid :

You are very welcome. Just let me know what you would like to do.

Customer:

I'll print this out so he can also read what you said ... and maybe follow your directions

Kalamykid :

ok

Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q