Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic

I have a 2.5 turbo diesel defender 90 ( old 1980s..manifolds..cylinder

Hi i have a 2.5 turbo diesel defender 90 ( old 1980s ) i want to remove the turbo unit and replace the 2 manifolds returning it to a straight 4 cylinder vehicle.Is this possible i know that i will have to blank the oil feeds etc.

Hello James and thank you for using Just answer!
I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.
Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

It is possible.............however it is not advised......
As the fuel pump is injecting fuel quantities suitable to a turbocharged engine (more fuel, as more air, being compressed is coming through).
So you would have excess fuel being pumped, and excessive black smoke especially on the higher revs.
If you decide to replace the fuel pump as well....the engine would operate "semi-normally" as the compression ratio on your engine is also suitable for does depend on the extra air pressure...
You do understand that the engine performance would decrease by 20 to 30 percent....

So again, it is not advisable...