Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

1999 subaru outback. blown head gasket cyl.3.

1999 subaru outback. blown head gasket cyl.3. pumps water out tail pipe. what does water do to the cat or 02 sensors. if I want to sell (smog) CA. what do I need to do? has been this way for 1 month, not run much. thanks for the help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

shortterm, like 1-2 weeks, this normally doesnt hurt them. Longer than that, the converter internal catalyst which is what reduces the emissions is destroyed and the O2 sensors are damaged where they either dont read at all or give inaccurate readings, which causes the computer to make the engine run either too lean or too rich as far as the fuel air ratio, which alters the emissions readings.

For it to pass, you will have to first replace the blown headgasket and second replace the converters and the O2 sensors, taking into account the length it has been this way.

Sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news, but to tell you otherwise would only frustrate you when you found out otherwise.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

short term, like 1-2 weeks, this normally doesnt hurt them. Longer than that, the converter internal catalyst which is what reduces the emissions is destroyed and the O2 sensors are damaged where they either dont read at all or give inaccurate readings, which causes the computer to make the engine run either too lean or too rich as far as the fuel air ratio, which alters the emissions readings.

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

If you have any questions on this, feel free to ask for clarification or more help, otherwise you do need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time or services until you do so
. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button but you are NOT charged again. Thank you and have a good day