nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

forenza: manual transmission..highway..rev..it stalls in nuetral

i have an 04 forenza with a manual transmission. the gear shifter was hard to pull out of 5th gear getting off the highway and then i got it into 1st only to rev the motor to a high rpm to barely move. when the car is in nuetral with the clutch down it is fine but when you lift the clutch up it stalls in nuetral. i can only get it into reverse 1 out of 20 tries now and i can not put the car in 5th gear at all. any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

The most probable reason for this would be a faulty gearbox......the fork mechanism inside or a synchronizer.

Billy :

But first, i suggest that you check the following:

Billy :

- check for any worn engine mounts, and transmission mounts, as these would cause misaligned transmission, and the gear would stick.....

Billy :

- check the gearbox linkages (from stick shifter to gearbox itself), as these might be misaligned or have worn bushings.

Billy :

If the above were checked and found up to norm....and given the symptoms you recited, you most probably have a fault in the manual gearbox itself, and that would need overhauling or replacing (replacing using a reconditionned or fairly used gearbox would be the most efficient and cheapest solution).

Billy :

Once you remove the gearbox for replacing, i suggest that you check the clutch assembly (disc, plate and bearing), as if these are worn, you might replace while you're at it (since the gearbox is already removed).

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Customer:

Thanks. The linakge is worn but would not have caused the failure, same with the clutch and pressure

Customer:

plate. i think the problem may be internal as i forgot to mention, once the car is moving it drives like the brakes are on. I just wanted to be sure before I sent it out. Apprciate the help.