Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

cheverlete cavalier how to remove powerwindow motor and replace

Customer Question

how to remove powerwindow motor and replace it, on a 2004 chevy cavalier
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 6 years ago.

Customer:

The first question I have to ask is how much wxperiance do youhave with replacing window regulators and window lift motors? This is a very dangeruse job to do and you can get hurt very quick ly if you do it wrong as the regulator has a spring in it that can cut off limbs.

Customer:

I do not mind walking you trough ding this task but have to know how much you know to make sure you do the job safely.

JACUSTOMER-pvw0a30q- :

I am always safty minded first but to let you know this is the first time I will remove the lift motor

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so far I have not received any information so at this point I'm begining to feel that this is a lost cause
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry I did not know you had responded as you hit the accept button. Do you have a vise or a two pair of vise grips?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes I have full compliment of tools and in many cases I have two or more vise grips being one of them and I have them in various sizes and styles
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 6 years ago.

the vise will work great to be able to replace the motor safely. Do you know how to pull the door panel off? You will also need to pull the window glass out as well. is the window all the way up, down, or inbetween?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when you say are you refering to part that faces the intirior or the metal covering that is part of the door. I ask because I already have the door panel off.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 6 years ago.
Yes you have the part off then. Is the window all the way up, down or in between?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 6 years ago.
Yes what? WHere is the window, all the way up, all the way down, or partially down? If it is partially down how fare down is it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes it is all the way up, I responded yes because I didn't ead the entire question
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 6 years ago.

this is going to be a slight problem. Can you unplug the window motor and run jumper wires to it and see if the motor will work at all to let the window 1/2 way down? The window glass has to be unbolted from the regulator and the glass removed to get the regulator and motor out so you can replace the motor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
jus to give you an idea of where I am, I have remove the electrical motor after having tested the motor for voltage, ohms and testing the wireing to see the motor was receiving current, by having removed the little electrical motor I am able to raise and lower the window as desired. Currentlly the window is being held up by a pice of 2X2.I can detache the window, no problem but it appears that at some point I am going need to drill the rebits to removed the assembly
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 6 years ago.
Did you remove the whole window lift motor or just the magnetic cap? And at this point do not unbolt the window. The spring will have nothing to keep it from coming ablrt and you mayget hurt, so hold off.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
just the magnetic motor and okay will hold off on unbolting the windor
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 6 years ago.
Is the armatur out of the motor head too? If it is you will need to put it back in before you unbolt the window glass from the regulator. You will have to use a pair of vise grips to hold the gear arm tat moves down past the regulator when the window comes down. This will lock the spring so the arm does not jump out of place. You will need to make sure to tighten the vise grip s up as tight as you can get them and still get them to lock. If the gear arm slips out of the vise grips make sure to move your hands supper fast away from the regulator. And yes the rivets will have to be drill out. To do this you need to knock out the center pin. Then use a drill bit just to drill the top off of the head of the rivet. It takes a big rivet gun to rivet the regulator back in. The rivets are made to cut the sleeve as you pull the center pin through them and are not a regular rivet so make sure to get the correct ones. The lift motor will not come with the new rivets. I have a bolt company here in Chattanooga called hayward bolt company that I get my rivets from, so if you do not have any you will need to look into getting the right ones.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 6 years ago.
When drilling out the rivet, all you have to do is remove the head of the rivet. If you use a slow drill, when you get just enough of the head off it will pop of, Then you can push the rest off the rivet through the holes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the new motor came with bolts and nuts, will contact you if I need further assitance. So stand by. and by the way thanks for all your help!!!
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 6 years ago.
You do not want to use nuts and bolts to put this back together. The bolts can come loose and then the regulator can be destroyed, and the bolts will definantly damage the holes in the door skin. The bolts will jump back and forth on the sides of the holes and oblong them and the window will not go up and down correctly. You are much better off replacing the rivets with new rivets.