Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q

2004 forenza: Fifth gear wont engage...clutch..problem started

Customer Question

2004 foenza... 5-speed. Fifth gear won't engage. A clutch was just replaced and the problem started immediately after that. Don't really want to talk to the mechanic that did the work until I have an idea what the problem might be. Is there any adjustments for the shift linkage as it feels like it just barely misses engageing, and will engage every now and then.
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

Kalamykid :

The only place there is an adjustment to the shift linkage is at the shiter itself. You problme sounds like one of the bushings at the linkage at the trasn has fallen out and was not replaced.

Kalamykid :

On the rod that connects to the trans there are two bushings, one on each side of the barrel where the pin goes through. If one of the bushings was not put back in the shifter will have to much slop in it to get the trasn into 5th gear.

Customer :

Are you refering to th connection to the linkage comming out of the firewall, or the spot the linkage (Belcrank mechanism) attaches to the trans?

Kalamykid :

Where it attaches to the trans.

Customer :

OK, when I get back out to check it what does this bushing look like and is it obvious to the eye if it is missing?

Kalamykid :

You willnot be able to see the bushing unless youtake the linkage apart.

Customer :

Assuming it is gone is this bushing available and if so is it a dealer only item?

Kalamykid :

yes it is a dealer item only

Customer :

Thanks and I will get back with you when I check it.... Oh yeah is there a spesific name for the part?

Kalamykid :

It is called the link arm bushing

Customer :

Thanks

Kalamykid :

With the age of the car, you migh be better off seeing if you can find a wrecked car in an auto salvage yard to get a replacement

Kalamykid :

The dealer may have discontinued the part and may not be able to get one.

Customer :

Trans or linkage?

Kalamykid :

The bushing is in the trans linkage not the rad from the shifter.

Kalamykid :

Sorry for the typo rad should be rod.

Customer :

to clarify I was refering to getting a used trans or bushing or linkage assembly from the salvage yard?

Kalamykid :

just the bushing

Kalamykid :

most salvage yards cut the shift linkage so the bushings are almost alwasy there.

Customer :

Got ya!!!!

Kalamykid :

If you have some one move the shifter for you as you are watching the joint, you should be able to see if the joint has any play in it. This will let you know if the problem is in the joint where the bushing goes.

Customer :

Hey, I just spoke w/Suzuki parts and he was looking at a blow up of the linkage, He said it looks to him like there is a clip on either sid of the where the pin goes into thr rod and that he can order the part if that is correct. Does that sound right? I cannot get to the car right now so I am blind.

Kalamykid :

No. The pin willnot be the problem. the pin has to be pulled so you can slide the linkage off of the trasn to get to the bushings.

Customer :

OK I will do that as soon as I can get to the car. Also he asked me what the bushjng looks like (size shape??). Thanks.

Kalamykid :

the bushing is about the size of your thumb and is about 3/4 " long.

Customer :

Excellent! I will call him back and see what develops.

Kalamykid :

ok

Customer :

First, there is some indication that I did not accept (meaning you didn't get paid) if so let me know because I did hit the "accept" button.

Customer :

Also I haven't gotten back to the car yet but I will need to know how to disassemble the linkage at the rod on the trans. Let me know when you can. Thanks again

Kalamykid :

Just let me know when you are ready to work on the car nd we can go over everything step by step.

Customer :

OK It will either be tomorrow or Monday. So if you are not available tomorrow I will plan on Monday.

Kalamykid :

I will be here from 11 am eastern till around 11 pm.

Kalamykid :

Tomarrow that is.

Customer :

Hi.

Customer :

Sorry I hit send early!! I first need to know if you have been paid yet? My account was charged 18 $ but I just got a follow-up asking if I had done this and that as though you had not been paid. Secondly.........I took apart the shift linkage and the bushing was a one piece unit and was intact. Also I took off the shifter on the trans and found no place for any adjustment. It did allow me to look into the trans and there was no obvious sign of anything wrong The problem persists so I guess the question is do you have any other ideas. I thought I might thake the shifter off the trans again and try to shift ithe trans manually to see if the problem mighbe in the linkage. Obviously I'm getting desperate. If you have not neen paid please let me know and I will follow up and take care of it.

Kalamykid :

So the bushings looked good. That is a good thing, but a bad thing as well. That would mean that the shifter in the floor of the car is worn or the trans has een damaged. Let me know if the trasn will shift into 5th manuale. If it will we can see what we can do to the shifter itself to correct this problem.

Kalamykid :

As for me recieving patmant, I have not yet, but that is ok. Lets solve this problem and then we can worry about payment.

Kalamykid :

The only adjustment for the shifter is at the shifter itself, so do not get to worried if the trans will shift manuale, we can still try to adjust it.