John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience

GM: vortec..3700 engine to determine a bent rod, bad valve or find out

Can you plug in to a GM vortec 3700 engine to determine a bent rod, bad valve or find out why it uses oil?
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

John :

John :

The computer diagnostics would give you a misfire code for the cylinder with the problem (P030? - where the last digit, the question mark, would be the faulty cylinder) or P0300 for random misfire if you have a bent rod or valve problem. But it will not say 'bent valve' or 'bent rod'. Oil consumption would not appear in the On Board Diagnostics. If you are loosing oil it is either leaking or burning it.

John :

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions about this.

John :

Thank you, John.

I'm sure it's burning it but it isn't blue smoke and it isn't losing power what do you think it is and how much would it cost to repair?

John :

If you are hearing a noise and loosing oil then the only viable repair is a rebuild, or replace the engine with a low mileage used one or a re-manufactured engine from a company like Jasper. The price range is likely in the $3000 to $6000 range depending on what route you choose.