Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.
10906483

Infiniti: another, i am looking at 2 cars now which i cant make..km

Hi, I am in the proses of trading my car for another, i am looking at 2 cars now which i can't make up my mind, and i have no one on the outside that i could to talk to. both cars are with the same monthly payment and the same money down, from the same dealer. Buying - the EX infiniti is a 3 years old car fully loaded with 33.000 km great condition. $2000 down. with bi weekly payment of $275 (550 per mouth) for 8 years with an option to return it in 2 years for a trade deal as i was told. Leasing - An Nissan Altima 1.7 L , brand new off the Lot, $2000 down with a payment of $550 a month for 48 months with an option to trade it in 2 or 3 years I am bringing into the deal my 2008 FX 35 Infiniti excellent condition with 48,000 KM only, as my lease coming to an end on Dec 2011. (they agree to take it off my hand for another car) I simply don't know what is the better deal here Wonder if anyone could help in few words regards Moti
Category: Car
Expert:  Dj replied 3 years ago.

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. I'm Dj and I will help you with this.

Dj :

The first option were you put down $2,000 and have payments for 8 years will cost you $52,800 in payments. So with your down payment, that's $54,800 for that vehicle.

Dj :

With a purchase, you own the vehicle when your payments are done. That's the biggest advantage over a lease.

Dj :

With a lease, you have a predetermined value when you end the lease. The vehicle that you purchase might be worth more or less in 8 years than what you expect.Sometimes you can get a tax break.

Dj :

Sometimes you can get a tax break with a lease.

Dj :

Lease payments are usually less per month, but in the end, you don't own anything.

Dj :

Looking at the same car for 8 years is hard. Plus reliability will decline as the car gets older. It will be 11 years old by the time you pay it off. AAAARRRRGGGG.

Dj :

Purchasing a used car has a higher interest rate than purchasing a new car. That's because there is a greater risk with a used vehicle. Let

Dj :

Lets say the car is 6 years old (3 years from now) and the engine blows up. The repair shop calls you and says "hey buddy, your engine is shot and it's going to cost you $9,846 to fix it." What are you going to do? Have you got that much in the piggy bank? People are much more likely to default on a used car because expensive repairs are often impossible to pay for.

Dj :

The absolute best deal you can get on a car is a one year old certified pre-owned. The first year of depreciation is the worst. Often a car can drop 25% to 30% in price.

Dj :

A certified pre-owned will usually have a warranty that can be better than a warranty for a new car. Some go as far as 100,000 miles. This will often get you lower payments because the risk is lower.

Dj :

I realize I'm rambling here. But this is a complex question so I threw some things at you so that we can have a discussion that might help you to make a decision.

Dj :

Let me know if I've hit any hot buttons.

Dj :

Dj

Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.