Mechanic Martyn
Mechanic Martyn, Mechanic
Experience:  Advanced trade certificate in Automotive engineering
17982882

My rover 75 ( petrol- automatic) wont move..ac..tootle pedal

Customer Question

My rover 75 ( petrol- automatic) wont move properly especially when the AC is on, even though i step on the tootle pedal it will take some seconds before the car will move and it still won't move properly . what can i do?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mechanic Martyn replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.
It would be a good idea to check the throttle position switch (TPS) . The vehicles computer sounds like it isn't getting a signal from the TPS to tell it the throttle has been opened , so therefore relies on the signal from the air flow meter which lags some seconds behind.
Your mechanic can test this and replace it easily.

regards
Mechanic Martyn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will ask my Mechanic to have the TPS check. The genesis of the problem was when i replace the oil but i guess the oil was over gaged ( the oil has been reduced). if i try to move the car, for some minutes it will move properly a bit okay and another seconds the throttle won't responds and by the time it responds ; it will just speed off high and find it difficult to easily change gear. If i off the AC, It will move a bit okay but as soon as i on the AC; it will take more time to respond and move forward THEN making sound like FART. My mechanic suggested plugs problem, FUEL PUMP ( MAYBE THE SUPPLY IS LOW), OR we might need to completely change the 6 plugs as we only changed three plugs at the front. Please advise any possible solution, thanks
Hello
My original diagnoses stands - TPS.
The plugs would make it miss if they were really bad.
The high oil unless it was pouring out the top would just tend to make it leak at the crank seals.
Turning off the AC just reduces the load on the engine this masks faults.

regards
Mechanic Martyn