Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

isuzu Rodeo I just replaced an idler pulley (tensioner pulley)

Customer Question

I just replaced an idler pulley (tensioner pulley) in my 2003 rodeo 4cyl...and timing belt. I put the new pulley on and am trying to set the timing according to the preexisting notches but when I try to start the car it doesnt start. We are also not sure if the valves were damaged. How can we tell if the valves are damaged, and how do I know if the timing is correct?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

The best way to tell if any valves are damaged is to take the valve cover off and turn the engine, (camshafts) so that both cam lobes for a cylinder are pointing upward and away from the valves. Then take the spark plug out and blow air into the cylinder, (with an air compressor and hose or adapter) and see if the air comes out the intake or exhaust.

Also the timing marks should line up like this,

graphic
View Full Image

graphic
View Full Image

I have the instructions in a PDF format that you can download HERE then you just click where it says “Click here to start download” Thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Please don’t forget to hit the accept button though, that is the only way we get paid, thanks.