Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

Trooper: they found out it sometimes sticks in park What should he do

friend of mine bought a Trooper for his boy problem is they found out it sometimes sticks in park What should he do?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am Randall. You wrote in Trooper but also enterd Rodeo. Which model is it? it is a 2000?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry my fault !! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I talked to my friend Bill he told me it was a 2000 Rodeo LX. I told him on my car a Camry it has a place to insert a key(?) near the ( P ) on the gear selector when that happens. But when we looked on his sons Rodeo it did not. It happens intermittently even on flat surfaces. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for delay. I just logged back in. So you are saying it is 100% a 2000 Rodeo correct? NOT a trooper?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

YES RODEO 100%

d

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
I need to know if brake lights work when this happens and cant get out of park
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK Bill's son does not know and is currently out of town. He did tell me he was trying to start the rodeo and it did not even crank over a little but after he pumped the brakes a couple of times then it started right up = [. Where is the accept button?or is that after your diag.is complete?
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Ok, he may very well have a brake light switch failing. If so, this controls the shifter to be released for safety. First he has to address the low battery. Battery? or charging system. If problem continues, the brake light swich mounted on the brake pedal is very possible. rather common fialure item and will lock it out in park.