nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

accelerate..there is a definate puff of smoke from the exhaust..faulty

Customer Question

Hi Guys

A 2004 meriva 1.7 diesel. When you accelerate you hear a rush of air ( Sounds exactly like the blower fan has been turned up full) there is a definate puff of smoke from the exhaust as if the fuel mixture has just changed.
I suspect there is a pipe faulty somewhere but nothing obvious.

Any idea's.

Thecarboss
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

The symptoms as described would indeed indicate a problem in the intake air pipes....

Billy :

I will include a diagram of the air pipes, so you double check these......and if possible, have someone step on the accelerator pedal a few times, while you check these........as the leak might not be that obvious when engine is off.

JACUSTOMER-7c96j800- :

That's what i thought but cant see anything obvious. I should have said but it only happens when under load. No sign when car just reving

Billy :

it would be hard to take a look when under load....

Billy :

Get the diagram, and check on the connection points, and the turbo charger boost solenoid need checking as well.

JACUSTOMER-7c96j800- :

your diagram is different. ours has a black plastic pipe that runs from the air mass meter down the front right side of the engine beside the throttle body

Billy :

yes i know........it is not a specific diagram (photos).....it defines the connection points and the different parts and fittings.

JACUSTOMER-7c96j800- :

local diesel guy suggested the boost pipe but can't tell me where it runs. This noise is like running a carb with no air filter so should be larger of the pipes but nothing obviously loose or holed

Billy :

the boost pipe runs from turbocharger to engine intake....

Billy :

However, i would think that the problem is on the low pressure side (before the turbocharger), or the boost solenoid valve......

Billy :

However, the only way to confirm, would be by thoroughly checking for any leaks, cracks.......take extra care inspecting the fittings and connections.

JACUSTOMER-7c96j800- :

does your diagram show the boost solenoid ?

Billy :

no....

Billy :

it is on the high pressure side, between turbo and the engine intake....on the turbo side...

Billy :

It is the only solenoid on that line.....

Billy :

has an electrical plug to it.

JACUSTOMER-7c96j800- :

I need to go have another look

Billy :

indeed....

Billy :

Make sure you thoroughly check the fittings and connections (where pipes interconnect), as this usually is the most probable leaky part....