Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

A 1995 Range Rover V8 4.6 HSEIt starts, runs..runs fine..revving..dies

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 1995 Range Rover V8 4.6 HSE
It starts, runs fine for a minute revving normally then dies. Then it wont start unless you leave it for 5 minutes.
I thought this was the fuel pressure but i have installed a new in tank pump and when it continued to do the same i linked it across the relay to get constant fuel rail pressure and it is still the same !
Any ideas ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

from your description I'd say its too rich - not too lean so its clogging the plugs up - this could be verified by pulling out a spark plug just after its stalled and see if its wet with fuel / sooty black

If this is the case then try replacing the water temperature sensor on the inlet manifold - there may be two sensors you want to change the 1 with 2 wires as the other is for the gauge

let me know what you find
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, on other advice i started it, and immediately disconnected the Mass airflow meter and it runs near perfect so i suspect this and have ordered one.
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

Fair enough I'd also do a double check of the wiring and connection to the meter as its possible that the meter is OK but its connection to the ECU is not
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good s/h Air flow meter fitted and all the problems have ceased.
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
Glad you got it sorted

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you press accept at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please press accept.
If you don't press accept then you can use the cash at a later date to ask another question.