Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

my car started..rpm..tell its not getting gas..check engine symbol

Customer Question

I had to charge my batteries over nite, my car started but it would not get gas when i press gas pedal, rpm would not go over 10 and when i press gas pedal  you can tell it's not getting gas. It also have check engine symbol on ( yellow light)but on main dash it will say everythig checked out. Car was running just fine before, I just haven't started a car for a while and battery was dead. What is going on?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cant drive at all, car would not get any gas and where is sensors for me to check out faulty one?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

I'd say that the it sounds like an issue either with the throttle position sensor on the pedal or the airlfow meters just after the air filters on the air intake pipework - If you're not confident about doing this then I'd suggest contacting your local Ferrari specialist about getting the car to them for a full diagnostic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am confident to do so as long as i know where to look for sensor and air filter. I really do feel it's sensor problem or air filter issue. car sounds great when i do start just can not get gas to move the car. I belive you might be right, throttle position on the pedal maybe the issue,if it is what do i do?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

1st thing to try is unplugging it and give the contacts a good squirt of switch / electrical cleaner ( not WD40) then before re-attaching it check along teh wire length for any signs of damage to the insulation

I'd also try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you'll need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm