Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

2002 Mazda protege: heated last night..lights came..stopping..costly

Have a 2002 Mazda Protoge and it over heated last night, then all the dash board lights came on, got it to a stopping point and now it will not even start. Any clue as to what it could be and how costly it would be to repair?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
GreetingsCustomerand welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
Hi there! Will the engine crank and not start or no cranking at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It tries to start, but will not.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, can you check and see if the drive belt is broken? And let me know? Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Not at the car at this moment. Car cranks but will not start. Steam shooting out tail pipe last night when trying to step on gas. Head gasket??? IF so how expensive is that to replace? And can a lay person do it them self?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Well, it does sound like a head gasket issue if you had a white cloud of steam following you.
It is something you can do yourself if you have some experience.
I would suggest a monthly subscription to alldata DIY to get the specs or possibly a chiltons manual.
To have it repaired by a shop would run roughly
$900 to $1200 this is for parts and labor, would also include a new timing belt.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Have you ever heard of using a product called Steel Seal to fix this problem instead of replacing a Head Gasket? Or is this a hoax?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
I have heard of it and even have seen it work on Subaru head gaskets.
I don't relly suggest it though, it can plug up the cooling passages, the ehater core and the radiator. It is really best to repair it properly.