Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic

Vauxhall Astra Hi, I have a Vauxhall Astra (53 plate). I

I have a Vauxhall Astra (53 plate).

I have been having a problem on and off for the last 2 years.

The dashboard lights ( the milometer and rev counter) keep flashing by going really bright and then dimming again.
This is only when thelights are turned on.

Previously I used to turn down the dimmer all the way down and this would decrease the problem.

However recently it has gone much worse and keeps flashing every time I put the headlights on.

I don’t think that there is anything with the battery or the alternator. The car starts fine and the headlights work fine.

I have just had the MOT and a full service done. ( I think the mechanic in trying to fix this problem may have made this worse.)

I have read somewhere that it may be a problem with the dimmer switch.

Billy :

Hello and welcome to JA!!!

Billy :

I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

Billy :

Indeed, the most probable reason for this problem would be the dimmer switch (as the latter controls the dash lighting).

Billy :

However, before getting a new switch (or trying another switch), there is a bulletin on this matter. This suggests water ingress at wiring harness plug on bulkhead causing this issue.

Billy :

So first you need to check the relevant wiring, make sure plugs, connectors and wires are dry and in proper order.

Billy :

I will include the bulletin so you check all the details accordingly.

Billy :

Billy :

Billy :

That should solve the problem. If not, the next step would be the dimmer switch.