vauxdoc
vauxdoc, GM Europe master tech
Experience:  25 years GM factory trained ATA UK registered

HiI have a vauxhall astra 1.4 S reg..car cuts

Hi

I have a vauxhall astra 1.4 S reg. When driving the car cuts out completely and will not start. The ecu light remains on, The central locking works but the car will not start. I took the car to a garage and they put it on a computer to check the fault coming from the ecu, it recorded a immobiliser fault, so they reset all they necessary key codes for the immobiliser. The car started and was able to drive for 2 days and the same problem arose. The car will not start.Left the car overnight and tried to start it again in the morning, the car starts now. This problem has been going on for a month now, car shuts down and will not start, then sometimes a hour later starts again, able to drive for a few days with no problems, then all of a sudden shuts down and will not start. The garage told me that it is a faulty ecu system and that it needs replacing,could this be the cause if so will i be able to replace this ecu with a refurbished one. I would appreciate your suggestions on this matter.Should i take the car to a vauxhall dealer ?

Thank You
Leon Philips
Rugby
Category: Car
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer , Can you tell me if the engine is a 16 valve (X14xe)
or the 8 valve C14NZ .

let me know and I will help more , regards XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

the engine is a 16 valve

Expert:  vauxdoc replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that and I am sorry for the delay as I had I.T. trouble.

An immobiliser fault will never cause a Vauxhall engine to stop whilst running it only prevents the engine starting if the wrong key is used or some one tries to hotwire it.

A fault on the immobiliser system shows as a fast blinking engine light , is this happening to yours when it fails ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for the feedback, there is no fast blinking light, the only light that remains on when the engine wont start is the ecu (yellow light ). the engine cuts out completely whilst driving.

Expert:  vauxdoc replied 3 years ago.
The X16SZR engine did fail leaving immobiliser codes but the X14XE was normally OK , it may well be at fault but first I would replace the crank sensor (RPM) and the fuel pump relay .

These ECU's are sometimes available as a set from breakers or on line and come with a key an immo ECU and engine ECU this means they can be fitted without needing programming.

I hope this helps , best regards XXXXX XXXXX
vauxdoc, GM Europe master tech
Experience: 25 years GM factory trained ATA UK registered