Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2001 Isuzu Rodeo: next morning start car..dash light..car starts

I have a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo, PRNDL switch has been replaced 4 times in one month!!! it last one day, next morning start car, put it in gear, dash light gear indicator does not light, and car starts hard shifting. Transmission shop tore transmission down, Second time in two years, and said the transmission is fine. shop owner said something is causing the PRNDL switch to burn up, but he has been unable to find the problem. He said he cannot afford to keep putting switchs on this thing, even though I have a three year warranty on the original transmission rebuild. ANYBODY know what could be causing the switch to keep going bad?????
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Did you still need help?

Are you saying that the switch goes bad causing the dash light gear indicator to not light up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The problem is, after the new switch is installed, the transmission will shift fine for one day, next morning when I start the vehicle and shift it into gear, the shift indicator on the dash does not synch with the shift lever. When I cut the engine off and restart it, the dash light gear indicator light does not illuminate. I have had 4 switches replaced and the same problem occurs within 24 hours, ALWAYS the next morning when I start the vehicle.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
This was a very intermittent problem with these vehicles. If the switch has been replaced, then the only thing left is a wiring issue or even a PCM issue. Verify fuse 14 is clean and tight in the under-dash fuse box. Check the Transmission Range Switch connection at the transmission for being clean and tight. If you can get access to a scanner watch the scanner to see if the scanner shows the gear selection and if the selection is changing back and forth while driving.

Potential Causes:
Fuse
TR Sensor
wiring
PCM
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
PCM was replaced once after they tried 3 switches, They put a used PCM on it and another switch, and it lasted a week before the synch problem started again.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Then the only other thing would be a wiring issue from the switch to the pcm. Be sure to double check all connectors and pins.
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector