Alex
Alex, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist
15182921

Neon: little low..positive battery cable..the post connector..fuse box

i have a 98 plymoth neon and the last couple days when i go out to start my car it seems to drag occasionally like the battery is a little low. when it's running it's fine but the positive battery cable where it hook into the post connector seems to be getting pretty hot and is actually starting to turn black in color at that washer. the line is coming from the fuse box. could u possibly be able to answer what it could be?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with your question.

Do you have access to a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no unfortunatly i don't.
You'll need a voltmeter to troubleshoot this problem. The possible problem areas are the starter drawing too many amps, in which case it would need to be replaced. The positive battery cable to the starter could be faulty and have too much resistance - we need to voltage drop test this wire with a voltmeter to find out. Or, the battery could just be failing - we need to check the current charge on the battery with a voltmeter.

Edited by Alex M on 2/13/2011 at 5:50 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the line is coming from the fuse box though. and would the battery being faulty cause the connector to be overheating?
Ok I would check the underside of the fuse box were that wire goes into the box. See if you notice any burning on the fuse box side and what fuse or relay the wire goes to. If it goes to a relay, remove the relay and look at the pins for any traces of burning.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. the line actually bolts into the side of the fuse box. there isn't any burning on the line where it bolts to the fuse box or on the under side of the fuse box. i looked at all the fuses and relay and none look to be bad or have any burning. is it possible it's just the line coming from the fuse box to the battery?
Yeah that's possible. I would replace that wire and also have the battery load tested. If the battery fails or is marginal on the load test you should replace it as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. thank u for ur help. i just wanted to make sure that i have checked everything i can without a voltmeter. is there anything else i can check?
Yes check for corrosion on the battery cables and cable ends. They should be clean of any corrosion and all connections should be tight. Also make sure the ground wire from the battery to the frame is in good shape with no corrosion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok yeah i've already checked that. i asked my dad and that was the first thing he told me to check. he's a certified harley mechanic and has been working on cars all his life but even he was stumped on this one. thanks agai for your help and have a good day.

You're welcome. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!