DBranch
DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.
9901235

im considering purchasing a Used Range Rover..major repair

I'm considering purchasing a Used Range Rover or Range Rover Sport but want the best options between the full size Range or the Range Rover Sport. A friend advises that the sport is my best choice because there are major repair & maintenance issues with the full size version. What is your opionion? What year is best to purchase used and how many miles should I limit the car to?

DBranch :

Welcome to JA. Both cars have their issues and both need to be maintained. The drivetrain is the same on these vehilces. The only issue with the drivetrain are the differentials. They could start having bearing noise and they will ahve to be replaced. The sports front lower control arms bushings commonly go bad and have to be replaced. These are the main issues. So honestly you should be fine with either choice. Choose the one that you like the best option wise etc. I would look for a 2008 or newer with around 30k miles on it. If you maintain it there is no limit on how many miles you go but you should expect atleast 150K. Just make sure you service it properly and on time. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know. Thanks Daniel

JACUSTOMER-ef5ylpdp- :

You did answer two other questions that I forgot to mention. One in what would be the best year and how many miles should I limit it to? I'm leaning more toward a used Range Rover Sport. I just saw a "supercharged" one, what is the big difference in that over the standard sport model?

JACUSTOMER-ef5ylpdp- :

Also in the issues that you mentioned, what can I expect to pay for that repair? Can I take the car to my local Ford dealer or should I go to the local Rover dealer?

DBranch :

The engine is 4.2L supercharged opposed to 4.4L. It has 400 hp and active stability control. Which is a hydraulic actuated sway bar. It also comes with 4 piston Brembo front brakes. It is just a higher line model.

DBranch :

I would go to land rover. The diff will run you around $2000 give or take and the control arm bushings around $700. If either needs to be done. You also have services covered under warranty up to 45K. So depending on what the mileage is you can get some done at the LR dealer free of charge if it is an 2008. In 2009 they only paid for the 7500K service

JACUSTOMER-ef5ylpdp- :

So you are talking about more power and speed right? (I am a female and need it simplified) LOL Yes, that makes sense because I owned a Disco II many moons ago and I only took it to the LR dealer.

JACUSTOMER-ef5ylpdp- :

Can I ask you a question about my Ford Thunderbird?

DBranch :

Yes more speed and power. But you also need to realize that the gas mileage will be a little less.

DBranch :

I cant answer that I am not a ford expert you will have to repost that sorry.

DBranch :

If I were I would

JACUSTOMER-ef5ylpdp- :

Ok i will do that. Tell me what are the control arms bushings that you mentioned and why do they go bad and need to be replaced.

DBranch :

They are on the lower control arms on the front suspension. They are rubber in the middle and dry rot and crack and break. You will hear a knock over bumps and when you hit the brakes. The lower control arms connect the steering knuckle to the frame. The steering knuckle is what the brakes and the tire is bolted to. So if you do decide to buy one I would have it checked out first to make sure there are not major issues. Those are a common thing but you may not ever have an issue with them.