DBranch
DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.
9901235

2003 Land rover freelander 2.5ltr V6 Petrol..50,000 miles..exhaust

Hi, I've got a 2003 Land Rover Freelander 2.5ltr V6 Petrol, (approx. 50,000 miles on the clock. On start up, (usually first time on ignition), I get alot of exhaust fumes, (white & oily smell), for approx. 1 minute only. I recently had an oil change and last year I seemed to be loosing a small amount of coolant which required topping up very occassionally - level now constant. Any ideas? I'll look forward to hearing from you. Cheers! Richard
Category: Car
Expert:  DBranch replied 5 years ago.

DBranch :

Welcome to JA. The white smoke is coolant burning. You most likely have a internal coolant leak in which coolant is getting into the cylinders when the car is sitting. These engine are notorious for these kinds of leaks. You need to have that check to make sure you arent getting any coolant into the cylinders or the oil. It is either the head gasket leaking or leaking past the cylinder sleeve. If you have any other questions let me know. Thanks Daniel

Customer :

Hi Daniel - Thanks for your quick reply. If it's the Head Gasket approx. how much to fix? (Independent garage). Cheers! Richard

DBranch :

No problem. It would be approx around $1500-$2000.

Customer :

Cheers mate.

DBranch :

Thanks