Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Going down..highway in 4 wheel drive(40mph)...and my 1999 range..smell

Customer Question

Going down the highway inXXXXX40mph)...and my 1999 range rover just died. Engine won't turn over....Battery clickis..won't start....hot smell under engine?
Any clues?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 6 years ago.
Hello

1st thing to check is the main battery cables are on tight and are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.

Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.
There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank.

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V