Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara: timing chain(..steering..bolts..drive shaft

Customer Question

To repair the timing chain(s), the instructions are to remove the front differential and the rack and pinion steering assemblies to allow removal of the oil pans. I find the online instructions weak in both these areas.

Once the differential bolts are all removed, does the differention pry off the drive shaft? Is there clearer instructions in the online information that you can direct me to?

Also with the rack and pinion, I was unable to find clear instruction with the Alldata information to remove this from a 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara. Once all the bolts are removed, how does it releas from the steering column knuckle. I am stumped at this location.

Thank you.
Submitted: 3 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Randall. I will do my best to help you but is a little hard just in writing. When you say does the differential pry off drive shaft what do you mean? the driveshaft is bolted on with 4 bolts to front diff. you do have to pry out the Axle shaft . is this what you are asking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The 4 flange bolts are removed and the propeller shaft is then pried from the housing, if I am understanding you correctly. How difficult, and what is the best way to remove the propeller shaft from the front diff. ?

In addition, will you be responding to my rack and pinion question as well?

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I wanted to answer one thing at a time as not to confuse. You mentioned you have Alldata so I may be sending what you already have but I then may be able to explain better. Here are the front diff instructions. LNK if there is a step you are confused about. The propeeelr shaft is on with 4 bolts. remoeve the bolts and either hit the flange with large hammer to break free Or pry it loose. they stick sometimes. The right hand drive shaft going off to the wheels has to be pryed out. Best if you use 2 pry bars one opposite each other the best you can, pry/pop evenly and quickly to kind of unsnap the drive axle from the diff. LMk wehn you are comfortable with these repair instructions

DISMOUNTING

1. Lift up vehicle and drain oil.
  2. Disconnect air hose and breather hose from differential housing.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

1. Before removing propeller shaft, give match marks on joint flange and propeller shaft as shown.
  2. Remove propeller shaft flange by removing its 4 bolts and suspend it with cord or the like.

NOTE: If pull out propeller shaft, transfer oil must be drained before pulling out.

Register Here

1. Remove 3 bolts for left mounting bracket and 3 bolts for drive shaft flange to set left side of differential free.

Register Here

1. Remove 2 bolts from cross member to set differential rear mounting free.

Register Here

1. With differential housing assembly held with transmission jack, remove mounting bolts on right end of housing.

Register Here

1. Using 2 large screwdrivers as levers, pull out right side drive shaft joint from differential and dismount housing assembly from vehicle.
CAUTION: During above work, use care not to cause damage to drive shaft boot.

REMOUNTING

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will the propeller shaft removal be a problem? Will it need pried out similar to the right side drive shaft or will it simply slip out? .
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
so we use the same words/terms, when you say propeller shaft this is the shaft fastened the the diff by 4 bolts. Is this the one you are asking about?

Edited by Tracer on 2/5/2011 at 3:16 PM EST
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
I have to step away for a short little bit. I promise to back online to help you get through this. Pls bear with me for very short while. back shortly. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The propeller shaft I am referring to comes out of the differential and goes to the rear wheels. I refer to the one coming out of the right side of the differential as the drive shaft. Am I confusing you?
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
no, we are good. starting with propeller shaft, remove the 4 bolts. the flange will stick to the differential. Hit on it, pry it whatever, it will op loose. Just be sure to mark which way it went on as to put back the same. Are we ok with this step?

Register Here
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will you be responding regarding the rack and pinion disconnect from the steering column knuckle on the same vehicle....2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara???
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
yes, had to step out. Let me get that info . back shortly
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Ok, the instructions do say to remove the steering column lower sft to get rack out. I have not always had to do so. Your call. right where the steering shaft from steering column hooks to rack is a "pinch bolt" You need to get that bolt out then the couple will slide off the stud on the rack. ther may? be a rubber weather boot hiding this. You also will ahve to use a bar and kind of pry it off the rack once bolt is out. The book way is belwo. This way you unhook the coupler at the bottom of steering column under dash. You then uhook the shft from column, then go to the rack and remove the pinch bot and the whole unit slides up but you will have to wiggle and pry it. You have these but here they are again

STEERING SHAFT LOWER ASSEMBLY

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

CAUTION: Never turn steering wheel while steering shaft lower assembly is removed. Should it have been turned and contact coil (on combination switch) have got out of its centered position, it needs to be centered again. Also, turning steering wheel more than about two and a half turns will break contact coil.

REMOVAL

1. Turn steering wheel so that vehicle's front tires are at straight ahead position.
  2. Turn ignition switch to "LOCK" position and remove key.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. After removing bolt on column side of shaft joint and loosening bolt on its shaft lower assembly side, move shaft joint to shaft lower assembly side (in arrow direction in figure).

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Remove shaft lower assembly lower joint bolt and then remove shaft lower assembly.
  2. Remove shaft joint bolt (shaft lower assembly side) from shaft joint and then remove shaft joint from shaft lower assembly.

INSTALLATION

1. Be sure that front wheels and steering wheel are in straight ahead state.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Align flat part "A" of shaft lower assembly with bolt hole "B" of shaft joint as shown. Then insert shaft joint into shaft lower assembly.
  2. Install shaft joint bolt (shaft lower assembly side) to shaft joint. Then tighten it by hand.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Insert pinion shaft into shaft lower assembly lower joint with slit of lower joint, marks on pinion shaft and gear case aligned. And then install shaft lower assembly lower joint bolt to shaft lower assembly lower joint. Tighten it to specified torque. Tightening Torque (a): 25 Nm (2.5 kg-m, 18.0 ft. lbs.)

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Install steering shaft joint to steering shaft.

NOTE: Be sure that front wheels and steering wheel are in straightforward state.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Install shaft joint bolt (column side) to shaft joint. Tighten shaft joint bolt (column side) to specified torque first and then shaft joint bolt (shaft lower assembly side) to specified torque. Tightening Torque (b): 25 Nm (2.5 kg-m, 18.0 ft. lbs.)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was hoping to be able to remove the assembly by disconnecting the steering shaft at the coupler assembly. In the alldata information (item #4 of the steering rack assembly) it sayks to remove the outer seal from the shaft coupler and unbolt the upper pinch bolt. Do you have an exploded picture of this connection? Once this pinch bolt is removed at the shaft coupler, Is this connection a spline coupler as on the steering column assembly?

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
You must be overlooking what I am sending. Its ok, I am here to help .Here are the pictures again Showing the connection. Again, what they mean by seal is ther may? be a rubber boot around the connection right at the rack. The boot keeps dust /debris out of the connection. If there is a boot, you will have to try and slide it up out of the way, remove the pinch bolt then you will have to use a pry bar of sorts to wiggle the coupling off the rack stud. the stud on the rack is about 2" long and is splined

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I see it now. I feel comfortable enough to tackle this job again next Saturday. Thank you for your time. You have been a great help.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
the post will stay open and you can log back in and get back with me. LMk how it goes and if any more questions. Little tricky but you will get it :)