Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

driveway..corners and lowered the trailer in place..jacks on one end

We are setting up a 7 X 14 concession stand tomorrow on a fairly level driveway. We have put jack stands under the corners and lowered the trailer in place. It is sitting on the jacks on one end and is off them on the other end by about 2 inches. They are at their highest settings at that end.

This is our first time using the trailer and there will be 2 adults and 2 kids inside moving around quite a bit. Is this safe? Can it roll away or tip? Is there anything else we should do to secure it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

Kalamykid :

You should always use a 4x4 block of wood under the jacks to soften the impact of movment. If one jack is not touching the ground it is very unsafe for 4 people to be inside of it. You should get 4x4 blocks cut to about 14 inches long and center them under the the jackes.

Customer:

Between the jacks and the trailer? or between the jacks and the ground?

Kalamykid :

Between the jack and the ground.

Kalamykid :

The extra leangth of the block will add stability to the trailer.

Customer:

All of the jacks are free-standing -- they are all on the ground, but two are sitting just a couple of inches away.

Kalamykid :

Are they not adjustable?

Customer:

Yes, but they are fully extended at the one end

Kalamykid :

if you use the 4x4 blocks they will take up the extra space.

Customer:

It seems that if we put it on blocks of wood, it will be more dangerous if it should shift and fall off one of the blocks

Kalamykid :

If you have to add a 2x4 between the 4x4 and the jack.

Customer:

so basically shim it?

Kalamykid :

You have to have all 4 corners firmly jacked up. Thsi will keep it stable.

Kalamykid :

yes

Kalamykid :

But yu should have at least 1 4x4 under each jack.

Kalamykid :

That way you will have adjustability and stability.

Customer:

This is only temporary for 5 hours tomorrow. Can we just shim it between the trailer and the jack stands?

Kalamykid :

FOr it to be safe you should do it right. Is it woirth your families safty to try to take a short cut?

Kalamykid :

It only take 2 seconds for an accident to happen.

Customer:

no -- it just seems that to put the jack stands on 4x4 blocks does not seem like a safe ide. I do agree with the other shims, though

Kalamykid :

How big are the footers of the jack?

Kalamykid :

4x6?

Customer:

You mean the size of the jack stands?

Kalamykid :

the bas that sits on the ground?

Customer:

They are just a standard size

Kalamykid :

That should be 4x6. A 4x4 that is 14 inches long will add 8 inches of stability.

Customer:

I would say they are about 8 X 8

Kalamykid :

Standard jacks are only 4x6

Kalamykid :

Even at 8 inches long 14 inches is much better.

Customer:

THey are Kobalt 3-Ton Jack Stands

Customer:

Doesn't say the size

Kalamykid :

I have a 20x24 trailer and set it up on 4x4 blocks and it does not move even on soft ground.

Kalamykid :

It has 6 jacks but that is due to the leangth.

Customer:

This is the item specs:

Product in Inches (L x W x H):7.28 x 6.69 x 16.73
Kalamykid :

You are best to use the 4x4 blocks. this will give you all the footing you need to be safe.

Customer:

How can they fit on 4 x 4 blocks?

Kalamykid :

YOu put the 4x4 on the ground and center them with the base of the jack.

Customer:

okay. we will give it a try. thanks for the help

Kalamykid :

then jack the trailer up till you see the trailer move upwards off of the springs. about 1/2 - 2 inches.

Kalamykid :

YOu are very welcome.

Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q