Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

Land Rover Discovery Land Rover V8i 1997 - clutch pedal wont

Land Rover V8i 1997 - clutch pedal won't come back up - woman driver :):) and have driven it since 0 to over 300 000 kms, but need to know what I am talking about when I take it to be repaired. Am I talking about a whole new clutch kit or just master or slave cylinder? Many thanks Julie
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Hello, does the pedal go to floor easy and then stays there or do you have to push fairly hard like normal and it stays there? have you checked clutch fluid level yet?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pedal goes down easily. Haven't checked clutch fluid yet.
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Ok, near firewall you can check fluid level in the master for the clutch. If full? then I tend to lean more to a master cylinder problem. It is not as common to have a full clutch failure within the trans to cause full pedal/pressure loss and no retune of pedal. The pressure plate in the trasn has many springs built onto it. If nothing else, the springs aid in pedal return. i would say only 1 in 100 have such a bad clutch problem inside trans that cause loss of pedal. If a seal was weak in the master cylinder, the fluid bypasses the seal and you lose clutch pressure and pedal will lay on the floor. The master cylinder is a pump. if it does not pump, youlose clutch and pedal. Now.. when we do a matster for a clutch, we do like to recommend a slave cylinder along with it. They do work hand in hand and are same age. best to be safe right up front. BTW: if it was the clutch in the trans, you normally would have had earlier symtoms like loud noises, slipping, no vehicle movement or real hard pedal. I feel without looking at it, you have master cylinder that has failed. If fluid is low? then you have a leak which could still be master or slave the hydraulic line between the 2