Mechanic Martyn
Mechanic Martyn, Mechanic
Experience:  Advanced trade certificate in Automotive engineering

my 1999..start and run fine till it warms up again then cuts

Customer Question

my 1999 vt comordor cuts on hot days. if you let it sitt for a bout 30mins it will start and run fine till it warms up again then cuts out. is there a sensor or something that could be causeing this.thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Mechanic Martyn replied 5 years ago.
There are two faults that cause this on the VT.
1. Is the crank angle sensor. It fails when hot and resumes operation when cold. Replace it and the problem goes away.
2. The ignition module under the coil pack arcs out and dies. Its usually a prelude to failing completely.
The first one to do is the crank angle sensor (cheaper).

The crank angle sensor is mounted on the front timing cover and it reads position off the crank pulley.
We use a aerosol of a product called "ice" it is cold air in a can - liquid nitrogen I think??? Anyway spray that or something cold - even cold water on the crank sensor when it fails. If it starts right up you have confirmed the problem is that.

Mechanic Martyn