Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Voyager: about 40 mph..Had tires balanced and front end aligned.

1992 Plymouth Voyager. 3.3 ltr. 4 spd trans.

Initial problem: quite a shimmy starting at about 40 mph through about 55 mph. Had tires balanced and front end aligned. The tech told me that it could be a problem with the tranny lock up sensor or torque converter.
I started looking for the problem on line and found that others had the same or similar problem. Some had been fixed by simply changing to the proper tranny fluid ATF+4.

So we did this.

Now it won't shift out of 2nd gear.

Do we need to retrain the computer? Do we need the had a memory flashed?
If so, what and how do we go about doing this.

Any other things to check?

Thanks
Joe
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

your problem is the solenoid block..it is mounted to the outside of the transmission just behind the dipstick..it may have a rubber boot around it..this is what the wiring harness plugs into....the solenoid block will cost $125+/- at your local parts store..

thanks

Solenoid Assembly Replacement

REMOVAL

Input Speed Sensor Removed
Remove Sound Cover
Remove Attaching Screws
Remove Solenoid Assembly

INSTALLATION
To install solenoid assembly, reverse removal procedure. Tighten screws to 12 Nm (105 inch lbs.) .

Locations
Shift Solenoid
icon_note_blank.gif Notes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tim,
Ok... the solenoid block.

I've never been into the tranny before. I can probably find my way to this solenoid block, but then what.

I open the the diagrams and they don't relate to what I expect to see. And each time I open the same one, it comes up a different picture. I'm receiving pictures of anything from fuse location lists to diagrams of a Toyota dash board. I'm confused.

Can you walk me through this step by step?

What about checking the speed sensor? Where is that? Can that be serviced?
Any other i should check while I in there?

Thamk you.
Joe

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tim,
Ok... the solenoid block.

Thamk you.
Joe

hi

if the speed ometer is working..i would doubt it being the speed sensor

the pictures will only stay on here for an hour or so...so please print....i will resend them

thanks

Transmission Solenoid And Pressure Switch Assembly

Solenoid Assembly Replacement

REMOVAL

Input Speed Sensor Removed
Remove Sound Cover
Remove Attaching Screws
Remove Solenoid Assembly

INSTALLATION

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tim,

This is the first time I've used this forum. Am I supposed to hang on here until I receive an answer? Both times I've gone in to the site to receive your answer I can only open pictures that are not related to my question.

I'm out doing other service calls while waiting for an answer so how do I get around this business of the files only being available for an hour. I do want to print them off.

If I go ahead and accept your answer so you can get paid, will I have the ability to follow up with other applicable questions untill I have my problem resolved?

I want to be fair to you, but I need to get my car running too.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

no

you dont nreed to wait...but,the problemis ,the pictures i am sending will only stay on for a short time....i need to catch you when you and me are online at the same time..i will send again..if you are online soon..they will be there..if not,,i will keep sending untill you get them.....the problem is the program to wich i am getting the pictures

thanks

Solenoid Assembly Replacement

REMOVAL

Input Speed Sensor Removed
Remove Sound Cover
Remove Attaching Screws
Remove Solenoid Assembly

INSTALLATION

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tim,

I've got the photos. 4 of them.

I'm clicking on the accept answer button but I'd like to ask a few more questions just for clarification please. If I were talking with you these are questions I would ask because I'd like to learn why.

You are calling it the "solenoid Block". I assume this the same as "Solenoid Assembly" in the picture?

What does the solenoid assembly actually do?

You are very confidant that I need to replace this unit and I'm sure you are correct.... tell me why you are sure this is my problem?

Is there a site location I can go to see a good picture of my tranny?
(I'm located in Alaska and My son is actually doing hands-on work for me in Washington. I'd like to visualize what is doing.)

Thank you for your help.

Joe

hi

yes,the solenoid block is the assembly.

this lets the transmission shift gears

the reason i thing this is the problem is because,it is very common on these a604 transmissions....you can replace this in about an hour..it is just behind the dipstick..3 bolts hold it on..it is not internal....i don't know of any better pics than the ones i have sent you

thanks