Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Ase Master 20+ Years Experience Foreign and Domestic
28939717

Chev 2002 Chev Tahoe LS Rough idle on cold start for an

2002 Chev Tahoe LS

Rough idle on cold start for an extended period - after it reaches operating temp, the rough idle disappears. The engine stumbles and lopes, but does not stall.

Do I need injection fuel cleaners, or a Top Engine Clean?
Category: Car
Expert:  Paul M ASE Master replied 3 years ago.

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

Hello and thank you for Using Just Answer. I'm Paul and I will help you with your Question

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

there is a very common problem with intake gaskets causing rough idle cold

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

once the engine warms up the gaskets seal and it runs better

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

you should have the intake gaskets checked and replaced

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

let me know if you need more help

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

Paul

Customer :

the engine has 124K mileage. Do i need to take the intake manifold off to inspect the gaskets?

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

you can spray around the intake with a flamable throttle plate cleaner with the engine running... the idle will change when you hit an area that has a vacuum leak... you need to do it when its very cold for best results... the intake gaskets are very common and there is an updated gasket part number #89017589. this will cause your exact symptom

Customer :

So, you are telling me to spray the intake gaskets with a starter fluid and see if i can get a result.

Customer :

If that is the case, then i will need to pull the intake and replace the gasket, right?

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

not starting fluid.. carb or throttle body cleaner

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

correct

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

sometimes its hard to find the leak even spraying but it's your worth a shot

Customer :

The part number listed above, is that for a Chev Tahoe 2002?

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

I am almost sure the intake is your issue

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

yes its for a 5.3 liter

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

what size do you have

Customer :

5.3

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

ok yes

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

thats the updated intake gasket

Customer :

is it a big deal to pull the intake - i am familiar with working on older vehicles and used to getting dirty.

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

it's 2.5 hours labor

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

so not very big job

Customer :

home job or take it to a mechanic - what do you think?

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

if you have removed intakes before I dont see why you couldn't do it yourself at home

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

Paul

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

but because labor is so law

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

low

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

maybe you would consider getting it done

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

to save yourself the headache

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

labor would run 250

Customer :

cool. one more question - do you recommend doing a fuel injector top engine clean job with an engine with 124K? The deal says they will do it for $165.00 - don't know if that is what i should do.

Customer :

dealer, sorry

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

Honestly I would check for the vacuum leak first and fix the intake gasket

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

if it was a fuel injector issue its not going to get better after warm up

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

I would only clean the injectors if you continue to have a rough idle after the intake is fixed

Customer :

Got it - thanks for your help!

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

no problem

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

thank you for using Just Answer

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

Paul

Paul M ASE Master Technic :

Remember to click accept so I get credit for the answer. thanks... Paul

Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience: Ase Master 20+ Years Experience Foreign and Domestic
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Let me know how you make out

Paul