Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.
10906483

1996 Isuzu trooper: on.. Right blinker will not blink..dashboard comes

Customer Question

have a 1996 Isuzu trooper. several things going on.. Right blinker will not blink with headlights on. Thr right turnsignal lamp on dashboard comes on and stays on with headlights on. It works fine without headlights. when the right blinker is blinking the left tail light faintly blinks. The bottom cornering lights right and left are not working (replaced bulb) Flashers do not work with headlights on.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dj replied 6 years ago.

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. I'm Dj and I will help you with this problem.

Dj :

You have what is known as a "floating ground."

Dj :

There is a problem with the ground wires for the rear lights. So the circuit hunts for a return to the negative terminal on the battery and ends up going through the blinkers or dash lights or anything it can find.

Customer:

is there an easy way to findwhere it is

Dj :

What kind of skills do you have and do you have a volt meter?

Customer:

none I'm an accountant and yes I do have access to one

Dj :

Is this something you are going to fix yourself?

Dj :

And one more question. Do you have wiring for a trailer installed on the truck?

Customer:

i was going to try to..and yes there is a trailer wiring

Dj :

If the wiring for the trailer was installed with Scotchlok connectors, the problem is likely there. A Scotchlok connector is an easy to piggy back a wire in to an existing wire. The problem is that it cuts into the insulation and makes an entrance for water that eventually corrodes the wiring.

Dj :

But the easest way to fix this is to go to a tail light and one of the bulbs has two elements, one for tail lights and one for brake lights. There are three wires that go to that bulb. The wire that goes to the side (not the end) of the bulb is the ground wire.

Dj :

You can use a Scotchlok connector and piggy back a wire onto the ground wire. I believe that the colors are black and yellow on the wire, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Dj :

Then find a good ground, which is a solid piece of metal and attach the added wire to ground. Do this on both sides.

Dj :

You can use Scotchlok connectors inside the truck. They are not good for outside.

Dj :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes it sounds simple enuf and looks like my best option 2 begin with

Dj :

If I were doing the job in the shop, I would find the source of the problem and bring it back to factory original condition. But sometimes that just doesn't make good sense.

Dj :

Let me know if you have any problems or need any more help on this.

Dj :

Dj

Customer:

thank you

Dj :

You are very welcom.