Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

2004 Rodeo: 3.5L..000 miles..check engine light..coolant temperature

I have a 2004 Rodeo (3.5L - 80,000 miles) My check engine light keeps coming on. The code reads that I get are (1) "random/multiple cylinder misfire" and (2) "engine coolant temperature circuit range/performance problem". The first one I can somewhat understand (plugs?) - or are they connected? What does the second one mean? Also when the check engine light is on my cruise control does not operate but when the light is off it operates fine. Thanks for your ideas!

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process, thanks.

You need to start with a basic tune up and replace the coolant temp sensor. Chances are this will resolve all your issues. The computer is disabling the cruise due to the misfire code.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Follow up: sometimes the engine light will go off by itself and everything will work fine. Does that mean the misfire and sensor problem are a random event or should I have everything done anyway? Any idea what a temp sensor costs?

The misfire may be coming and going depending on conditions like air temp and engine temp. The temp sensor error may be there all the time and just not triggering a check engine light. The tune up is the first step and will most likey fix it. But it needs to be done to rule out weak plugs as the cause.

The sensor is less tha $30

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do i need danos i plugs or can i use other plugs
any decent plugs are fine. just dont get the cheapest ones as they will not hold up as long.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
one last question, but no more money. the dealership says that i need danos I plugs. are they full of BS. will double platnum work. Will thay work as long/
Double platinum are fine. They will work well.